Welcome to the January 2011 issue of WOX (World of XOOPS) Newsletter - our first in 2011! (see here previous versions)
Official Alpha 1 of the Xoops Engine Released!
This year we'll be celebrating 10th Anniversary of XOOPS, so it's a great way to start off with the official Alpha 1 release of the Xoops Engine - our "next generation" architecture for XOOPS!
Xoops Engine, as the new brand name for this new architecture, supports open and extensible engines with its multi-engine design. As for now there are three engines available:
- Xoops: the official engine with new architecture utilizing Zend Framework as the primary library and Smarty as the default view templating engine, as well as some third-party libraries like jQuery. Demo will be hosted onwww.xoopsengine.org;
- Lite: a lite version of the 'Xoops' Engine with no MySQL required, aimed for high performance scenarios;
- Legacy: for backward compatibility to support legacy XOOPS modules and templates.
Some selected features that were most requested by the community are now part of Xoops Engine:
* Built-in cache mechanism for high performance
* Clear MVC with AOP and event hook
* Extensible URL rewrite for better SEO
* App/module clone w/o code change
As always, as the first thing in each newsletter we wanted to express our gratitude to all of you who have donated moneyey to XOOPS Foundation! We truly appreciate your trust and support! This month Ian Underwood remains the biggest supporter and donor - thank you Ian! If anybody else would like to donate - please don't be shy!
Highlights of the last month: