I've been using XOOPS for very long time and during this time I tested a lot of modules and I choose some of them. And I don't test other modules any more
I choose Liaise as my contact module. Because it is very customisable and I can generate multiple forms. With chapta option it is even better.
I tried bunch of gallery modules.
- xoopsgallery is good but interface is not so good and I cannot find a moderation for user uploaded pictures.
- xcgal is also another good module. But its upload feature is different what I want.
- myalbum-p. I don't remember exactly but I think I like extgallery's user interface more. So I didn't choose myalbum-p. Myalbum-p has all features I like to have. but myalbum doesn't have ecard option.
- sitemap, rw_banner: Is there any alternative?
- logcounterx: I tested some old counter and statistics module. But I don't remember them, because I tested them too mcuh time ago. But most of them needs some kind of hack or modification to theme or core of xoops. this one doesn't need to any modification.
And my comments for xoops:
IMHO, XOOPS is lack of customisable registration process and custom registration fields. I've postponed one of my projects just for this reason. And I'm waiting for 2.4 or 3.0 to have a custom registration fields (I don't want to use 2.2)
XOOPS has another improvement point (IMHO). mainfile.php has database password unencrypted and mainfile.php is inside htdocs. It is possible to use ?????' method. So mainfile.php includes another file. Other file is outside of htdocs (could be in trusted_path or something other) If Trusted_path cannot be reached with a browser, I think it will be safer.
CSS and themes are most problematic part of design a web site. Because every theme and CSS has some kind of compatibility problems for firefox or IE. I have to test the site with both browsers. I don't want to bother with opera. I'm sure if I test with Opera I'll find some problems too, but I want to ignore Opera. Because IE and Firefox problems are enaugh for me :))) But I don't believe CSS and theme problems are XOOPS specific. Browsers aren't identical and they are not full compliant with W3 standards. So if one CSS is full compliant with standards, this may not well look in other browser (especially for IE ;) )
Published: 2008/5/16 2:11 • Updated: 2008/5/16 2:11