koralex90
HELP ME!! OFFENSIVE CONTENT!!
  • 2005/12/6 7:36

• koralex90

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/15

I own a fansite for a singer. And since December 4th, there has been some disturbing things happening. A new user posted offensive content on EVERY SINGLE TOPIC in the first pages of each forum.. Basically 200 posts.
It says stuff like, "I love gay sex" "mm yummy~" with pictures of gay people having sex.

I banned them that day but they came back again today with a different id...
I asked someone, and they said to ban their ip address because its likely the same person... But I cant obtain their ip address unless they are online.. Is there any other way to get their ip adress?? Will this solve the problem?? PLEASE give me suggestions on how to fix this.. This is ruining my site's reputation!!

jdseymour
Re: HELP ME!! OFFENSIVE CONTENT!!

Sorry to say, but the best way to deal with this, until you find out if their IP is dynamic or static for banning, would be to moderate all posts for a while. Once they are not allowed to post right away, they may move on.

If you are using CBB, in preferences make sure the setting to show IP is set to yes. Only administrators and moderators see the IP of the poster. Then you can see the Ips that the posts are coming from. But don't forget that can change each time they log on and/or they could go through a proxy to hide their real IP to get to your site. I hope this is of help to you.

Edit: This gave me an idea (as used on some mailing list) and I submitted it as a feature request for CBB. It is to moderate new users for a selected number of posts.

davidl2
  • 2005/12/6 9:21

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Moderated for x number of posts is a very interesting idea...

I would suggest to make posts moderated only for a brief while until they get fed up... I have a problem like this on a none-Xoops site where some moron constantly posts rubbish on a Blog comment area... needless to say I want this site moved to XOOPS asap for more control.

koralex90
  • 2005/12/7 9:40

• koralex90

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/15

what to you mean my moderating their posts?? please give me a better explanation.. and how to do this.. thanks!!

jdseymour

Quote:

koralex90 wrote:
what to you mean my moderating their posts?? please give me a better explanation.. and how to do this.. thanks!!

Edit the forum and remove the permissions for:

"Can Post without Approval" For the registered user group. It will require more work on your part as you will have to approve each post. (Which is the reason for my feature request on the CBB site.)

Login

Who's Online

112 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 112

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits