trabis
Re: jQuery and plugins for 2.4
  • 2009/9/6 16:56

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

kris_fr wrote:
I use little jquery, mootools, but rather, the addition of jQuery in XOOPS is a bit "autoritary".

Correct, I have removed from loading in every page. It will be delivered in Frameworks but will be loaded by module/block/preload request. Core does not need it to work at this moment so we do not need to load it in everypage. It is 45Kb of loading time that we may be wasting.

So for loading jquery on XOOPS 2.4 you should use
$xoTheme->addScript('browse.php?Frameworks/jquery/jquery.js');

kris_fr
  • 2009/9/6 19:13

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

thank you

nmshah
  • 2009/11/12 12:08

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

How should I call jquery in themes. I am new to jquery and am not able to figure out how to use the XOOPS 2.4.1 with jquery.

I am trying to add the sliding panel onhttp://www.webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/jquery-tutorials-for-designers/
to the zetagenesis theme

Kindly help

Mamba
  • 2009/11/12 14:32

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I personally don't know, but these two themes use jQuery, so take a look how they did it:

Electric Warmth

Maitcosportal

mboyden
  • 2009/11/12 16:50

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Because this is a presentation layer aspect, I'd suggest that we look at this mainly from a presentation layer scenario. As kris_fr said, tellling people which of the popular jscript frameworks to use (jQuery, mootools, scriptalicious, etc.) is a bit authoritarian.

However, in terms of solving the problem of making XOOPS a shiny OOB experience like other CMSes that get more limelight because of that one fact (shiny on the outside ugly on the inside), solidifying on such a toolset can be a positive move and developers can provide templates to match that capability. But make sure it remains in the presentation layer.

Further, to be good netizen developers, my recommendation is to load both jQuery min and jQuery UI through the Google API loads. The positive side is that since many sites use these already, users have it cached in the browser making for a faster experience overall. Also, since we'd be using just the min loads, then developers can decide which other plugins they want to use on their site.

As a caveat, some sites I've built are for people of disability (can't use jscript, flash, etc.) so must be able to disable it and/or work without it.

I've been using jQuery in my last several installations, and it works great!

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits