DarinAllan
Databases, collation, UTF-8 etc

There is something that has me kinda worried, I read the upgrade instructions, it all went well, few little hiccups but nothing that couldn't be fixed, so far*.

My question is about this piece of text

"Upgrading a non UTF-8 site:
UTF-8 encoding has been introduced into XOOPS 2.30 as default charset. However, there might be some problems with converting existent websites from non UTF-8 charset to UTF-8.
Before there is a good enough solution for this conversion, following settings are recommended when you upgrade an existent website if you are not an experienced user:
- Select "Do not change" option in "Database character set and collation" step during upgrade process
- Modify /languages/yourlanguage/global.php to use existent _CHARSET value if it has been changed to UTF-8 in your new global.php file as"

So, I did follow this exactly I did not change the option just like it says, so tell me is there going to be some kind of fix as suggested or is this going to be a problem for future upgrades?

Or did I misunderstand it and totally stuff?things up for future upgrades?

I then see other posts about this subject with varying answers that would seem to suggest I did stuff up, I just don't get it! There seems to be the very odd strange character here and there but definitely nothing too major

My Database details the main first page in PHPMYAdmin

MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

MySQL connection collation: utf8_Unicode_ci

then I see in the tables

Collation: latin1_swedish_ci <<< should this be some kind of utf-8 or is it fine the way it is?

Can someone just tell me will there be a problem please?

Other details

XOOPS Version - XOOPS 2.3.0
PHP Version - 5.2.4
MySQL Version - 5.0.51a-community

Cheers.....Darin ;o)

DarinAllan
Re: Databases, collation, UTF-8 etc

No one has any idea about this?

Cheers

kerkyra
  • 2008/10/2 14:28

• kerkyra

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/14

i dont think there will be a problem if you are not using another language than english! there is however an sql command that can convert that to utf!I dont really remember which one it is, perhaps you can export your db, and import it again in utf encoding. Do some tests though before you do that to a test db.
www.guidemap.gr - Beta is out...

DarinAllan

ok cool thanks, I will have a look around, that gives me a place to start ;o)

If anybody has any more information it would be appreciated as well.

I will look at those options when importing tables, I might make another test site.

Cheers....Darin ;o)

Mamba
  • 2008/10/2 15:56

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Anders is working on some instructions - as soon as he is done with testing, we'll publish a short guide to UTF conversion, as it seems like there is a need for it.

In the meantime, please share your test results, and any tips you might gather from it.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

DarinAllan

Thanks Mamba and Anders ;o)

Marco
  • 2008/10/2 17:43

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Hello

here you are

Basically, since you can see

Quote:

Collation: latin1_swedish_ci <<< should this be some kind of utf-8 or is it fine the way it is?

it says your data are not encoded in UTF8. That's normal since you chose the Do not Change option during the upgrade.

So go to language/english/global.php, and change the line
//%%%%% LANGUAGE SPECIFIC SETTINGS %%%%%
define('_CHARSET', 'UFT-8');

to //%%%%% LANGUAGE SPECIFIC SETTINGS %%%%%
define('_CHARSET', 'ISO-8859-1');

make the same for language/yourlanguage/global.php

that's all, should be ok now, but let us know
Do synergy or die.

DarinAllan

Thanks Marco I have done what you said and the immediate change I can see is the copyright symbol in the footer of my theme it was a "Diamond shape with a ? in the middle" now "XOOPS 2.0 © 2001-2007" it has that lovely Copyright symbol. I have to get to bed but that's a great start lol. I will check other text in the morning.

By the way the Profile module rocks, I downloaded the one from SVN 2.3.1 seems great so far, members like the new fields I have created, makes the Profile more site specific.

Thanks to all you guys!

Cheers....Darin ;o)

Marco
  • 2008/10/2 18:08

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

ok, it seems you're on the right road now

have fun and a good night
Do synergy or die.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/2 19:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
DarinAllan wrote:

Thanks Marco I have done what you said and the immediate change I can see is the copyright symbol in the footer of my theme it was a "Diamond shape with a ? in the middle" now "XOOPS 2.0 © 2001-2007" it has that lovely Copyright symbol.

I have the exact same problem with the copyright symbol in my theme. Will try Marco's solution.

Thanks guys

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits