Catzwolf
Private Message System V2 Wishlist
  • 2008/4/8 22:20

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I have taken it upon myself to redo the Private Message system and hopefully have this included as part of the XOOPS Core. If Not, I will release it as a core hack instead.

I am asking the XOOPS community for items they would like incorporated into the new system. Some of the features that are already part of it are as follows:

1. Smarty Template: The whole pm system will use smarty templates for easier designing and modifications.
2. XOOPS v2.30 and v3 ready with a few changes.
3. You will be able to Save, Store, Trash, Delete, Track and mark as Read and unread all private messages. Plus many other features to help keep your PM box nice and fresh.
4. Buddy System: You will be able to add users to a buddy system, ban users and send private message to multiple buddies.
5. Better Administration: As the admin you will be able to set a) Inbox limits,
b) How many PM that can be sent per day,
c) Purging PM's: You will be able to purge PM sent by date etc.
6. Secure: Will encode and decode messages so no one can read them via database etc.
7. Page navigation: Will use page navigation for inboxes etc.

These are not the full list, but the main items for the moment.

So ideas please and make them reasonable requests lol

John (Aka Catzwolf)

seolio
Re: Private Message System V2 Wishlist
  • 2008/4/8 23:24

• seolio

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/2

Sounds good, I hope it turns out ok.

I have a couple of small requests, on IPB forums, the Private messaging has a monitor as to how full your inbox is in the form of an image and changes percentage etc...

and the other is an optional(via admin) popup alerting users of messages, as a lot of my users don't realise they have a message sometimes.

This would be the only things I can think of not in the current one and not in your list.

Mamba
  • 2008/4/8 23:58

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Thanks, John!

This is awesome news!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

maxxy
  • 2008/4/9 2:11

• maxxy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/6/11

Thank you catwolf...this is long overdue...I also hope it to be included in core and not as a hack

Quote:

3. You will be able to Save, Store, Trash, Delete, Track and mark as Read and unread all private messages. Plus many other features to help keep your PM box nice and fresh.

if I'm x mistaken in IPB, you can know if the receiver has read the PM you send....and then you can delete the message from the receiver inbox b4 he reads it..that would be a great option for the track feature...

ladysham
  • 2008/4/9 3:28

• ladysham

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/11

Some way to prevent private message spam would be nice. I recently had someone join my site, and then they proceeded to spam all 800+ members, one by one. Ugh! Fortunately, I was able to delete them pretty easily via phpadmin.
Kelly Ling
Shamrock's Web Design
http://www.shamrocksweb.com

If you're coming to see my house - give me two weeks. If you're coming to see ME - come any time!

maxxy
  • 2008/4/9 5:01

• maxxy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/6/11

group/individual ban to use pm

this was recently discussed
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=63587&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/9 8:35

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi John,

Very many thanks for this; the standard PM system is very basic, being just an Inbox.

I use Lord Venom's mpmanager 2.63. This has, in addition to an Inbox,

1. the ability to save sent messages (it is an option)
2. the ability to make other folders such as archives (which can be excluded from routine admin message-purges)
3. the ability for admins to delete "notification" type emails from selected user-accounts.
4. an option for users to receive an email when a PM is received

Might be worth a look at this module to see what it offers by way of code to save you some time?

I agree with the others..... you suggested enhancemnts would be a very welcome addition to the core.

Thank you

stefan88
  • 2008/4/9 8:49

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

sounds very good

I would like to see:

- sub folders for organizing PMs;
- compatability with 2.0.13, XC maybe;
- status (read/notread for autors outbox, but also ugent/important and so on)

How about making it as module instead of a hack...?

irmtfan
  • 2008/4/9 11:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i like to see XOOPS a more and more modular cms. then developers can work on different and details branches and core will be lighter and smaller.
so core developers have free times to focus on module developers needs while module developers can expand modules like:
- system pm module
- system profile module
- system group module
- system banner module

xgarb
  • 2008/4/9 15:04

• xgarb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

agree with irmtfan.. should be a module if possible. Not all sites will want it. Some sites might choose to use one PM module where another type might fit other sites better.

Group level permissions.. ie Group A can store x, ie Group B can store y would be cool.

Would good be if a user could search their own messages.

Personally I would avoid any Hotmail style AJAX.. yeauch!

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits