Peekay
Sub domains as fully hosted domains in Plesk?
  • 2007/2/22 23:28

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I have been asked to set up several XOOPS sites as sub-domains. For example, say the registered domain name is 'holidays.com' (sadly it isn't). The client wants separate sites accessible as 'spanish.holidays.com', 'german.holidays.com' etc.

Now my VPS is controlled by Plesk. So I followed the procedure for setting up a sub domain for 'holidays.com' (e.g. 'german') and then added the sub-domain name to the DNS as an 'A' record and pointed it at the server IP address, e.g.

Quote:
DNS for 'holidays.com'

german A 192.169.***.***

This works fine, but I have no admin controls for the sub-domain in Plesk, e.g. no stats, traffic reports etc.

So... I tried creating a fully hosted domain in Plesk as 'german.holidays.com' and once again added 'german' to the 'holidays.com' DNS as an 'A' record entry. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this works too... plus I now have full domain controls - file manager, traffic reports, web-stats etc.

So where's the catch? It all seems a little TOO easy!

I have a number of sites to set up, so if anyone experienced with sub-domains can spot a pitfall of doing it this way I would certainly welcome a heads-up!
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seventhseal
Re: Sub domains as fully hosted domains in Plesk?

I have PLESK on all of my servers - not Vituoso, but the principle is the same. The primary reason this works is because you are creating within your "shared" IP. If you were trying this with dedicated IP, although PLESK would attempt to track, your DNS would potentially have problems. Now, under PLESK, your stats should include sub-domains. But, that is provided you are at least at 8.0.1 - 8.1.0 has man of it's own DNS issues, and I would be careful in creating any sub-domain outside of the domain control. Good ideas going outside o the published norm.

BTW - you can multi host under you static IP's as well as your "SHARED" IP. It's not a published feature, but it works because of the way they create the DNS records for the BIND.
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

Peekay
Re: Sub domains as fully hosted domains in Plesk?
  • 2007/2/24 12:24

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for that info seventhseal. I have had some feedback from the SWSoft (Plesk) forum and it appears it is perfectly acceptable to set up a sub-domain this way. Why there is no mention of it in the Plesk docs is a mystery. My VPS uses Plesk 7.5 reloaded.

My domain DNS controls are set using my domain registrar's control panel, so I am not using the Plesk DNS controls.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits