Amnay
Got a blank screen after renaming phpkaox theme directory
  • 2006/6/1 8:51

• Amnay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 8

Hi guys.

I am runing into troubles with my web site www.tinejdad.com.
my web site is runing under phpkaox theme for a while as default theme.
recently I decided to customize this theme with colours of my own. Then I want to my site root directory and 777 chmoded the theme directory so as to get access into it. then I renamed the existing phpkaox theme to phpkaox_save. It took me again to 777 chmod it to be able to rename it. Then I ftp uploaded my customized phpkaox that I mistakinly did not rename. This one has been tested on a local server and works perfect. When it has been uploaded, I run my web site www.tinejdad.com and just got a blank screen. I suspected that some thing still goes wromg with the change I made for customization. I then just deleted the customized phpkaox and renamed the original saved one: phpkaox_save to phpkaox. I still get the blank screen

With a blank screen I can't even get to administration menu

Is there any way I can edit some php file so as to tell XOOPS to point to default theme instead of phpkaox? perhaps this will recover content to the web site and allow me to get into administration menu

any tip to get around this issue is welcome

many thinks

talunceford
Re: Got a blank screen after renaming phpkaox theme directory

just make sure that all of your files that you modified in the theme are coded to point to the name of the theme directory. What I mean is, in your theme.html file, make sure that the directory where it points to be able to find the block (left & right) files is the same as what the diretory name is.

If you were logged in before, you can access your admin via, yoursite.com/admin.php

If all else fails, you will have to edit the xoops_config table in your db. There is a field that holds the name of the current theme that you are using. Just change it to a theme that works, so you can login to your admin.
Tim
www.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2142online.org

Amnay
  • 2006/6/1 13:09

• Amnay

• Just popping in

I think that some thing has changed in the db that makes the site render a blank screen.
the changes I have made were within the physical location of the themes. I did not change any thing in the admin menu that my change the dB.

I copied the dB and installed it on a local server runing XOOPS that was working before and got the same problem of blank screen. which clearly means that something hapned in the dB.

I did one more test. I added some code to mainfile.php to make the xoop system pick randomly a theme among many other themes in the library of themes. again this did not work.

my db has not been backed up for one month and there is plenty of content that has bee added to the site since then.

I would like to get inputs on how to set the theme within the db

Amnay
  • 2006/6/1 15:19

• Amnay

• Just popping in

now I recovered every things excepts all the posts in the forum (newBB).
for some reason all fora are available and there stats visble but with empty contents. My memebers will screem at me for having their posts lost!!

one big advise: Do not rename any file/directory in the theme directory. This will for sure corrupt your dB.

One wise thing to do, is to backup all the site before proceeding to any change. Will invest in a new hard drive for backup

Chris03
  • 2006/6/1 16:44

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Well yeah........ If your using that theme, and rename it....then the database doesnt know you renemaed it unless your MySQL install can read your mind....

Deleting your templates_c helps sometimes aswell. Kinda odd, nvr had a theme issue prevent me from getting into Administration end...
KickassAMD

Quest
  • 2006/6/1 20:13

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Doesn't phpkoax have its own admin folder? If you renamed some things you may have to locate it as well and rename something for it so as to retrieve it properly. I myself can't see where the theme itself would affect the DB. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't so how it could. Only the way something is being called in the theme. Have you checked inside your database to see if the info is still present?

DISREGARD: I had the wrong theme. Sorry.

Quest

Quest
  • 2006/6/1 20:33

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Now I remember. I did something similiar several months ago. I resolved it by setting my admin/preferences/general settings to the default theme. Then I ftp and delete the two themes I was working on from the themes folder. I then went back to my site and the default theme was working. Just for whatever sake I then went to admin/system/modules and updated the system. All was okay. After that I rechecked the themes I originally was working with and when satisfied I reuploaded them to the themes folder. Then went into the admin/preferences/general settings and set the one I wanted to use. It worked and all was okay after that.

Quest

snow77
  • 2006/6/1 21:00

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

If you have set as default phpkaox theme in system > preferences > general settings...this gets recorded in the database.

If you then change the name phpkaox (being it default theme still) for something else the database will not be able to find the theme and render a white page. You would have to change the directory name to what it was before so the database reads it again. Yet changing a theme's directory name doesn't damage a database.

To change a theme name, 1st it can't be set as default theme in your admin settings until the name changes are done. 2nd you rename the theme folder to whatever you want, 3rd make sure inside the theme the blocks are being called by the new theme name in lines that look like this:

Quote:
<{include file="default/theme_blockcenter_l.html"}>

"default"= your new theme name, or better even replace it like this using $xoops_theme
Quote:
<{include file="$xoops_theme/theme_blockcenter_l.html"}>

that way you can keep changing the theme name, without worrying of the content theme code.

After that is done you can go to admin settings and make your newly named theme your default theme.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits