donavan
forum navigation issues with newbb2 final
  • 2004/12/19 1:47

• donavan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/18

My problem is best summed up by a user in my site issues forum.

Is this something I'm overlooking or just a short coming of the XOOPS forum module?

Thanks all

jdseymour
Re: forum navigation issues with newbb2 final

Yes go to the forum admin index page. There you can you there can assign a forum catagory -> add a main forum -> add a subforum to that main forum.

Is that what he is asking for?

I think from what I am reading is what he wants.

donavan
  • 2004/12/19 3:16

• donavan

• Just popping in

No, that isn't the issue. I'll try to explain using the XOOPS site.

This page shows catagories ("XOOPS Community Support forums", "XOOPS Modules Support forums", "XOOPS Themes and Templates Support forums", etc.) and main forums within each catagory ("Theme and template troubleshooting", "Theme templates and Smarty help", etc are within the catagory "XOOPS Themes and Templates Support forums").

clicking the XOOPS Themes and Templates Support forums catagory link sends the user to a page with no way to link back to the url above (This one) and gives them just the forums within said catagory.

then clicking the Theme templates and Smarty help sends me to a page where I can get back to the root page of the forums but NO link or indicator of the catagory "Theme templates and Smarty help" I'm in.

So if I have
catagories:
Product A
Product B
Product C

and each catagory has forums
Annoucements and news
bug fixes
general support

When I'm in the forum for Product B bug fixes, as a user I can't tell what product I'm reading about.

Hopefully this clears up the understanding of the issue.

jdseymour

Look at the top of the page your in, see the little envelopes in a tree view showing the name of the catagory, the forum and the post. That is how you can navigate in Newbb.

Now another alternative would be the shortcut module, allowing your users to build a private bookmark list of pages they visit often. In other words they don't have to navigate, just choose from a dropdown list and go directly to the page.

donavan
  • 2004/12/19 3:41

• donavan

• Just popping in

I understand the envelopes, my point is that in newbb2 final (and what is running on xoops.org) that the catagory is missing when I'm reading a post.

Is this expected behavior or a bug?

jdseymour

Yeah, I see what you are saying now.

I am not sure if it is a bug, feature or oversight. But you should post at the Newbb site at their forums Here.

At the very least it is a good feature request.

donavan
  • 2004/12/19 4:14

• donavan

• Just popping in

I opened a topic there. Thank you for the URL to that page. I've always been slightly confused over the www.xoops.org, dev.xoops.org, and the role of sourceforge.

reference message at dev.xoops.org

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits