biradf
Missing admin menu after unsuccessful XCGal update
  • 2004/8/17 11:09

• biradf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/17

Hello to all the xoopers.

I´ve chosen XOOPS 2.0.7 to build my site due to its easiness of use and reliablity. So far, it had run fine. I had my site (http://www.tunersdecristo.com.br) running for about three months with no problem whatsoever.

But the strangest thing happened:

I´ve uploaded some pics to add to a photo gallery (XCgal module is the one that best fitted my interests), and after the FTP upload I wasn´t able to do a batch addition to the gallery. The error message stated that it could not create the small size images (I don´t recall the exact message).

Ok, I thought it was some problem with the module (stupid 1). So I accessed my module admin page and clicked on "update" for the XCGal module (stupid 2) , without making any backups of my current status (stupid 10).

The update proceeded the following way: it drops some tables on the MySQL database and then recreates them. However, they were not recreated (error creating tables) and no DB rollback happened. That´s when I (too late) realized that the problem was not with the module. It was lack of disk space on my account (I was 15Mb over my 100Mb quota).

Well, what did I do then? I deleted some files from my account (mostly test files), freed a lot of space, and thought: hey, no big deal. Let´s install XCgal again and get done with it.

When I accessed the admin page: SURPRISE!!! No admin menus! NOT A SINGLE ONE!!! (please check the screenshot below).

Resized Image

Yeah, my database has probably been corrupted. Screwed up. Gone away for sure.

Now that I realized I was completely screwed up and that my last backup was made in June, after calling myself "stupid" a million times, I began the work to put my site back on line. Fortunately, I managed to export most of the data (even after the mishap), so I will be able to recover my site "by hand" someday. So I decided to clean up my XOOPS installation and retrieve data from my June backup and add all the rest by hand after it is working properly.

So, here´s the big deal: I exported the current database (even if the configuration data is screwed, all of my posting data such as sections and news are safe) and then dropped all the XOOPS tables. After that, I ran the installation script provided (it was already on the server) and... voilà! a brand new fresh-XOOPS installation... with no admin menu!

oh hell, what will I do then? I closed down the site for two weeks to think of a plausible solution (fortunately I use phpBB for the forum so my users kept communicating with each other and I was able to send a notice to everyone about the problem).

After a lot of thought I decided to try something else. As in June the site was working properly, I decided to try the June backup of the entire XOOPS database. I cleaned up (dropped) all of the XOOPS tables and imported the June backup. The site was back on line, with June data, news and info and... no admin menu! That means that even if I had backed up my data, probably it would not solve my problem.

well, friends... I´m desperate. I have a running site (yeah, people can access it normally) which I can´t update (except by hand , directly through the SQL database, which is just not practical... ) What can I do now?

I´d appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance,

Bira

wcrwcr
Re: Missing admin menu after unsuccessful XCGal update
  • 2004/8/17 12:33

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Olá Bira, exceto seu site tudo bem contigo?
Dê uma checada daqui uns 3-4 dias em www.xoops.net.br

Well,

Probally when you erased some files of your remote install you also removed some important ones.

First: do you have a local test server, like easyphp, triad etc?

Do you have a mirror of your site in your local server?

If so, why don?t you try to dump your june?s db backup into your local install just to see if the erros show up again?

You could also do a fresh install of XOOPS with any of non core modules and after that dump your old db into it.

Just a tip: please, resize any further images that you atacch in your messages in order to prevent this kind of layout mess.
Best regards and good luck.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits