karedokx
Improving Performance in IE (cache?)
  • 2004/8/1 13:53

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

As I might have stated in my other messages in the forum, I am in the process of building & upgrading my website to portal framework (and I have chosen XOOPS ).

Got it installed (and always got excellent feedback from the forum whenever I got problem. Thanks!).

I found that the performance of my website is pretty poor when I access it through Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE). My Top Menu and the theme images are always re-read (and re-drawn) whenever I move from 1 page to another page. Netscape/Mozilla - I found - provide a better performance.

Please check my website at the following address: serialsilat XOOPS and use username: user, pwd: user, to login.

Please help. How can I improve the performance of my website (as explained above)? How can I also improve the performance of my website in overall?

Thanks.

Stewdio
Re: Improving Performance in IE (cache?)
  • 2004/8/1 13:57

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Your site loads fine, it's the XOOPS Flash banner that might be slowing things down a bit. Try disabling the ads for a while, or replace them with something different that wont take up cpu cycles. Yes, it does chew away a bit at the CPU, which would give the illusion of a slow performing site.

Otherwise, everything looks good, loads well.

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/1 14:01

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Using block caching will help some, so long as they are blocks that never or rarely change content, as they will not update untill they are scheduled to as set out in your preferences.

Sorry, should have mentioned that bit earlier. Others will have more suggestions on fine tuning.

Good Luck!

karedokx
  • 2004/8/2 8:11

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

Thanks for the input. Dropping the banner is indeed improving the performance. And I will also apply the block caching as suggested.

I tested my website using the dial-up connection previously, and in IE it for some reason is not as good as in Netscape/Mozilla. The images are always reread and redrawn (when navigating from 1 page to another.

I tried accesing my website using an ISDN connection today, seems that in this environment IE cache my theme images/top menu.

Any other performance improvement suggestion is always welcomed. Thanks once again.

hervet
  • 2004/8/2 16:52

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

if you have the hand on your web server, install Turk mmcache.

Free and fantastic.

Bye,
Hervé

wtravel

Hi,

I use an analysis tool that works well on most web sites.

Look for IBM page detailer on google. This free program will help you analyze which items on your pages take up most of the load time.

In some cases it cannot extract the detail time per item for some reason, like images, but on your site that seems to work fine. You have a lot of them and they slow down your load time somewhat.

horisontal_line.gif and c_footer1.gif for example total up to 1.1 seconds to load. And your top bar totals more than 1 second as well.

It is always difficult to find the right balance between images (design) and load time .
Most what you can do indeed is to use caching so that these theme images only need to load once. Right now your site is not allowing caching (at least not for my PC).

Best wishes,

Martijn

karedokx
  • 2004/8/4 7:33

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

Thanks! The IBM Page Detailer is indeed a good analysis tool. I have got it installed and like it alot. I will absolutely use it alot from now on. (Will also looking at the possibility to get the Turk mmcache applied).

Can you help more, how can I cache these theme images? Shouldn't it be cache by the (user's local) browser?

wtravel

Hi,

I am sorry but I really would not know why it does not cache the images. Perhaps someone who knows more about chaching issues can help with that, or perhaps the google newsgroup can provide you with some information on this topic.

Good luck!

Martijn

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits