cre8d
Re: Is XOOPS for me?
  • 2004/6/25 8:52

• cre8d

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/13

Thanks everyone - I've decided (after much testing, searching and reading) to go with XOOPS :)

One newbie question I have: is it possible to set up a page for people to sign up to be notified when the site goes live using XOOPS - i.e. they can register but that's it?

brianhay
  • 2004/7/3 5:12

• brianhay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/19

I must admit to being a big fan of XOOPS for a long time but recently I've been drawn away by Drupal.

The reason?

I HATE, HATE, HATE complex templating engines (such as Smarty) that rival programming languages in their own right! PHP itself started out as a templeting engine for HTML pages ... now we have templating engines built upon templating engines. Ridiculous.

Anyway, Drupal's theming system at least gives its users the option of standard PHP templates OR a number of other systems. XOOPS is too interwoven and dependent on Smarty.

XOOPS has more cool modules but Drupal seems to be easier to develop modules for.

Other promising projects are Xaraya and eZ Publish, but they too suffer from ridiculously complex templating systems.

I only say these things because I love XOOPS and think it could be improved by eliminating its reliance on Smarty.

Just my 2c.

phppp
  • 2004/7/3 11:26

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

brianhay wrote:
I must admit to being a big fan of XOOPS for a long time but recently I've been drawn away by Drupal.

drupal is a good choice for blog-like personal sites

brucewhealto

Quote:

brash wrote:
Hi cre8d,

Quote:

* Categorised blog for the front page with comments. Archives by week/month/year. (I don't really get if "News" in your documentation = "Blog"). Ability to post to the future.

Never got into a specific BLOG module myself, I just use the News module for this. It has archives by month/year, but not week as far as I am aware. News 1.2 is just out so it may, but I'm not sure. You can set articles to be published at a certain date and time (down to the minute) with the news module as well.
>>>>
I can let my users create their own blogs, using the News Module Correct? Thus there can be an unlimited # of different News Stories aka blogs?
Next question, anyone used Word Press or Popnupblog to compare them? They are extension that I added to my site.
>>>>

Quote:

[quote]
* Strong forum (how good is XOOPs one compared with Invasion?) with moderators

This was actually one of my sticking points with XOOPS originally. The forum module included with XOOPS (NewBB) while perfectly functional, is very basic, and looks somewhat lacking when compared to Invision or phpBB. There are ports of the phpBB and Invision boards for Xoops, but this is not officially supported by the XOOPS team. The great news is though that Predator has been working like crazy on beefing up NewBB for Xoops, and once it is released in the core it will be a truly great forum module. I personally woudn't advise using the XOOPS ports of the Invision or phpBB forum modules as it wil only complicate your upgrade path. I did for a while but moved back to NewBB.
>>>>
I thought the documentation said that there was a way to include invision board. I seem to remember reading that after I found a more extensive documentation set beyond the visial introductory tutorial.
Quote:

* FAQ

Yes, there are modules about specifically designed around providing FAQ functionality.
>>>
This could be the way to make the site user friendly, correct? Create a block that tells people to look in the FAQ to learn.
I understand also we can rename the menu items. We don't have to use News the default name. Is that correct?

Quote:

* Integrated Gallery

Yes, again you have the choice of several here. I use XcGallery which is based on the Coppermine 1.10 core.
>>>
Is that an extention available for download?
Secondly, can I let my users create and upload photographs for a gallery? They would need more than just viewing permission ot the gallery or module, but administrative permission, correct???

Quote:

* Not too many files to edit to get the design looking how I want it to.

Should be good here too. Unless of course you consider 1 file too many . You should just have to edit the theme.html file of your selected theme to get your site looking pretty.
>>>
explain please? We download theme.html and edit it on our local system to get the look we want?

Quote:

* Ability to greatly simplify the features offered (lots of community sites are overwhelming and complicated for new people)

You can make your site as simple or as complicated as you like. The choice is upto the webmaster.
>>>
Again, what would you suggest that might make this easier? So, far I've thought of a FAQ with a suggestion that people check that out first. Maybe if all the modules were not on the same page that one sees when arriving at the site, can that be done? Can I put sections of pages on different pages and make it easy for people to figure out how to find different sections?
Let's suppose I have four sections and I want the user to see those different pages across the top and then see different modules on different pages/sections? How hard would that be to do?
I welcome other suggestions as well, please. What else might make it easier for my user without them having to read a long FAQ? I want something more intuitive, like my.yahoo.com which I'd like to suggest people can leave behind.

Quote:

* Not too hard to be able to add my own PHP code into the site templates

Nope, you just have to clone the default template from the template management system in XOOPS and you can start editing right there and then from within Xoops.
>>>
I'm sorry you lost me there? Please clarify what you mean by clone the default template?

Hope these this was of some use

>>>
Yes, very helpful despite the additional questions.

Couple other questions.
1) Can users upload a photograph or several that is associated with them? This is for an alumni site and I'd like to have that ability to do that, have a back then photo and a now photo or more recent photo. Can a module be suggested to offer that for users?
2) Can additional fields be requested for each user? Again, the alumni site, year of graduation is a desired field. I want to allow insertion of this on registration and then the ability to search by alumni year of graduation?
3) Can a person be sent an email for two conditions, one a personal message on the site, and two a direct email from the site by another user, but without giving out there email address? I clicked on a search of members bringing up my own name and selected email. What happened is that my email program opened up and the email address was revealed... same with other users. Is there a way to perhaps send a message to the user at their regular email address that they have a personal message (or whatever pm stands for (lol)) and to come check it out?
For example, I see when I come here that I have email in my inbox, can I have that notification go to my main email? and will I be able to help my users do that too in an easy to understand fashion.
Thanks,
Bruce

Login

Who's Online

129 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 129

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits