hrac
XOOPS vs postnuke
  • 2003/12/8 6:44

• hrac

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/7/15

Hello,
Last several weeks I examined postnuke and I have some little knowledge about pn to compare with xoops:

PN advantages:

1. PN has built in WYSIWYG editor for IE and works properly.
2. PN has phpBB2 module
3. PN has LDAP integration (but I don't have time to test)
4. PN's calendar module (PostCalendar 4) is more complete than XOOPS' modules (pical, eCal, agendax)
5. PN has bigger community
6. PN developers gives more information about projects' status. There are some PN development sites (http://noc.postnuke.com) and you can see how many percentage of project is finished (http://noc.postnuke.com/top/mostactive.php?type=week). XOOPS developers gives some sarcastic answers: We will inform when it is ready or they say "My standard answer is, it will be out sometime before Harry Potter Book 6".
7. PN has customizable user registration. XOOPS will have this in version 2.1
8. PN has a very good multi-language support. You can choose a block displayed only one specific language or with all languages. You can post news with specific languages. So you can have all themes, blocks, news and some other modules dependent on language.
9. PN has better documentation
10. PN has more modules like pnFlashGames

XOOPS advantages:
1. PN doesn't have personal messaging system (or I cannot find it
2. XOOPS has better admin interface
3. I beleive XOOPS has better core
4. XOOPS has better themes, or I cannot find good PN themes
5. XOOPS seems to be faster than PN
6. XOOPS has better main menu solution like treemenuxl, or I cannot find better main menu blocks on PN

Of course I have more knowledge on XOOPS (I'm using XOOPS more than one year). Because of this I know weaknesses of XOOPS, and I don't know weaknesses of PN.

This is what I can say only a few weeks of work with PN.

thans
Re: XOOPS vs postnuke
  • 2003/12/8 8:54

• thans

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

XOOPS-advantages:
- very easy to use.

PN-Advantages
- more documentation

Freetime
  • 2003/12/8 10:18

• Freetime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/30

X - 5 blocks layout at the start (optimal in my opinion)
PN - 3 block layout at the start (to few)

X - threaded/flat/other view in rewriten forum module (there is no threaded forum after phorum.org....but I prefer this - XOOPS have nearest to this)
PN - no native forum module

X - templates
PN - hardcoded layout of modules and blocks (CSS, tables etc.)

X - only used recerds in DB - small DB
PN - all records in DB - bigger DB

X - small community of active, innovating people - developers, coders, etc.. (in my opinion)
PN - great community mixed: Genius and ..not.

X - it's hard to find specific module with non-popular lang. But if you find any - it's easy to translate and use - because developers are not sending a weak, early betas just to catch some popularity on forum.
PN - it's easy to find module. Quality? hmmm... depends...

Freetime
  • 2003/12/8 10:45

• Freetime

• Just popping in

Quote:

5. PN has bigger community

bigger=better ...? hmm I prefer a quality...

Quote:

6. PN developers gives more information about projects' status. There are some PN development sites (http://noc.postnuke.com) and you can see how many percentage of project is finished (http://noc.postnuke.com/top/mostactive.php?type=week). XOOPS developers gives some sarcastic answers: We will inform when it is ready or they say "My standard answer is, it will be out sometime before Harry Potter Book 6".

sure.. just to keep attention. At this moment I'm finishing some translations just for me. I'n not telling that's for community - it's just for me. I'm not gonna performe on forum just to get some visits on my site. If it's done - I'll share it.

Quote:

7. PN has customizable user registration. XOOPS will have this in version 2.1

mhm... will see.

Quote:

8. PN has a very good multi-language support. You can choose a block displayed only one specific language or with all languages. You can post news with specific languages. So you can have all themes, blocks, news and some other modules dependent on language.

yeah. After month of "digging in dirt" I'm back to XOOPS (no lang at all for my language). No time to retype all errors in lang - it's sometimes better to write it from the begin.
Quote:

9. PN has better documentation

o yeah. Write some. :) became popular and all-known. :)

Quote:

10. PN has more modules like pnFlashGames

ooooo yeah.. FlashGames. Hotlinked :)
Quote:

XOOPS advantages:
1. PN doesn't have personal messaging system (or I cannot find it

look at the portalzine.de ... wooooow! custom-made well developed and administrated site. I like it! And the PM systems too.. :) BTW - it's a PN!

Quote:

2. XOOPS has better admin interface

a-a.. not like this. At the default PN loads and activates half of the modules. Deactivate it... it's clear
Quote:

3. I beleive XOOPS has better core

ha!
Quote:

4. XOOPS has better themes, or I cannot find good PN themes

look at this -> mixing of XOOPS and PN layout:
http://republika.pl/super_naklejki/layout.jpg

That's my job now - all texts are only for find the better proportions and sets of CSS...

Quote:

5. XOOPS seems to be faster than PN

aha :) wruuummm :))) tuning :)

Quote:

6. XOOPS has better main menu solution like treemenuxl, or I cannot find better main menu blocks on PN

there is a "freemenu" module to administrate main menu in PN.

Quote:

Of course I have more knowledge on XOOPS (I'm using XOOPS more than one year). Because of this I know weaknesses of XOOPS, and I don't know weaknesses of PN

This is what I can say only a few weeks of work with PN.

I was digging in all CMS. Month ago I was nearest to set PN as the base-one. I'm back.

Greets
Jacek

Freetime
summary
  • 2003/12/8 11:13

• Freetime

• Just popping in

I'm an architect. My teacher always told me that there is no "bad tools". There are only "bad craftsmen".

Find your own way to work - it's not a race, not a competition, you don't need to have the better machine to win. The best sites won't flash with decorations, tons of blocks and gifs. They are made with same basic tools, CLEAR AND WISE IDEA, and lots of custom made details.

Innovate - not imitate. :)

Greetings
Jacek

malexandria
Re: summary

Quote:
XOOPS developers gives some sarcastic answers: We will inform when it is ready or they say "My standard answer is, it will be out sometime before Harry Potter Book 6".

Well, sometimes, the only answer you can give is a sarcastic answer to a question, that is....

We just released the 2.0 version a few months ago, and released several fixes for it. We are currently having an active discussion with the community regarding the future of XOOPS and creating and setting up new teams to handle the growth and the new version of Xoops.

Folks who use Open Source tools have this unreasonable expectation that they get a new full featured release every month, and then complain that there are no modules or themes for the system. What is wrong with waiting 4 - 6 months or even a year between major releases? How do you expect Module and Theme developers to create 3rd party products if the core is changing every other week? This has been a huge problem with PN, PHPNuke, etc and one that XOOPS has so far avoided.

The one thing the XOOPS Core Devs are great at is releasing fairly stable systems that have a good number of features. We like to make sure that everything works as well as can be expected before we announce or even release anything. To say that we haven't been communicating with the community is ridiculous.

Thanks to Herko and his fab community relations skills, the XOOPS team has been keeping the community informed of our progress. We have been giving regular updates on what we're planning, and have asked for and received a ton of input. We are in the very early stages of 2.1 and are putting things into place, including - documentation, modules, product packaging, themes, etc.... To make this release one of the best OS CMS's to come around the pike. A release of the magnitude that we have planned is not something to be entered into lightly, or rush overnight. While we can't state when this release will be available, I will almost gurantee that it will be well worth the wait.

hrac
  • 2003/12/8 18:43

• hrac

• Quite a regular

Quote:

where can I download freemenu?

Herko
  • 2003/12/8 18:45

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

hrac wrote:
Quote:

Hello! This is a XOOPS forum, not a friggin postnuke forum!

Herko

hrac
  • 2003/12/8 20:38

• hrac

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

hrac wrote:
Quote:

Hello! This is a XOOPS forum, not a friggin postnuke forum!

Herko

Ok, I'll PM to him.

Freetime
Re: summary
  • 2003/12/8 22:33

• Freetime

• Just popping in

true... true... :)

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits