mattlay
Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/8/2 13:09

• mattlay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/21

This is a very important topic. I am new to XOOPS and CMS in general so I will give you that perspective. After much research I decided XOOPS is the best for me. My difficulties have come in:

1. Figuring out what modules to install. There are many in general and many for each need.
2. Finding the latest module version. They are all spread out. This is being addressed in other threads.
3. Trying to figure out if a module is being maintained or not.

Having packs would give people (expecially new people) a central place to go for good basic modules that are presumably being maintained. Great idea!

BDW
  • 2006/8/3 18:42

• BDW

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/28

I've just installed xoops2 and was suprised to find no modules. I thought the normal ones would have been there in the modules folder so i didnt bother looking.

I was needing:

News
NewBB
Xoops Polls
MyDownloads
weblinks

For some reason i have found only 3 of them, i've still to find XOOPS Polls & MyDownloads. There should be URL's to these modules in a ReadMe file in the XOOPS install pack in my opinion.

davidl2
  • 2006/8/3 21:28

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

News - as mentioned in the install notes - can be found at Herve's site

Newbb - As per recent news posts on this site - can be found at dev.xoops.org (also known as CBB). The latest release is CBB 3.05.

Xoops Polls - As per a recent news item (found via search) - is available from www.xasset.co.uk

MyDownloads is very obsolete, a number of decent download modules can be found in the repository... and of course wf-downloads from www.smartfactory.ca

snow77
  • 2006/8/3 22:00

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

@davidl2
Quote:
An alternative idea - and perhaps an easier to maintain one - would be a simple list (with links) of suggested modules for different applications.

This could be linked to in the installation, and would in turn link to both the repository entries - and of course the authors homesite.

Although this would need some maintainance, it would be simpler than regularly updating a set of packs.

@bender
Quote:
Would there be at least two individuals who would be willing to maintain this package in a responsible way and be trusted to not drop out after 2 month?(clearly some coding skills regarding XOOPS would be required)

I can maintain a virtual small basic module pack.

But I would...will do it as links as david suggested. I'll be making a list of the basic modules with their links from their original origins.

I don't have coding skills though. It would be an information kind of page, NOT support.

I can start out a list based on a past post I wrote:

Quote:

well first you need to have some modules installed like:

Article (to create articles or content pages)
WordPress (a blog)
CBB (a forum)

News

some more modules at

XProjects.co.uk

and at SmartFactory.ca

those are more or less the sites of the main developers of modules for XOOPS where you will find the most up to date versions, these sites are usually kept bookmarked (I may be missing some in the list though)

if you don't know how to install a module you can visit the documentation section, there are some nice tutorials there

and last, have patience and don't be afraid to test everything out or making mistakes, there's always a way to fix things.

I'll publish it at xoopsdesign.com so I can edit and maintain the information.

If someone wants to adopt it and make it into XOOPS a page is free to do so.

Also I am open to suggestions and add more links to the list according to what I read in the forums or elsewhere.

@davidl2
Quote:
Having the repository easier to navigate will also help of course

with the new repository, and according if I see it's no longer needed to maintain a page like this, I will stop doing so.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

snow77
  • 2006/8/11 8:38

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

I've been thinking and working on this, maturing the idea. I agree there should be a more clear guide into which modules are the "recommended" ones, where to get them, how to install and use them... and other concerning things.

I don't agree with joining the XOOPS core main package with module packages. This would require more support in places where concentration is needed in more substancial sectors as what the core and the main XOOPS system is. I don't agree either with module package bundles (but not as critically as joining them with the core) because each and every user has very specific needs and usually not all modules of a pack may interest a user.

I am in favor of a clear documentation, instructing new users and experieced ones in the tools/modules that can be used with xoops.

As I had mentioned in the last post, I will start something out. Here is a brief resumed preview of what it is (it's main layout structure) (it is mainly an informative document)(I'll publish the whole final article somewhere when it's finished):

An Introductory Review of XOOPS Basic Modules

(only current active modules* compatible with the latest XOOPS version will be mentioned as feautured in the list)

FEATURED XOOPS MODULES:

Modules with which you can easily create:

CONTENT PAGES:

Module name: News
Current actual version: 1.44
Author: Hervé Thouzard
Author's download page:http://www.herve-thouzard.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=22&lid=104
XOOPS module repository link:https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=48&lid=1558
Sourceforge link:http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xoops/XOOPS2_mod_news_1.44.zip?download
Resume: WYSIWYG integration, manage content by topics, advanced user group permissions by topic...
User Manual:
Demo:

(more here)

FORUMS:

FORMS:

DOWNLOADS:

CALENDAR:

IMAGE GALLERIES:

-----------------------

OTHER SPECIFIC USEFUL MODULES:
(not necessarily active modules*)

(todo: divide in active and inactive and those compatible with latest XOOPS version and those not)

* active modules: a module from which there is news from in at least each semester (not necesarrily upgrades but that it is known that the author(s) keep contact with the project and future progress and support is expected.

lance said:
Quote:
I can take half the ball and roll with it.

I'd love to get a couple of packs done, setup and manage demo sites with the packages.

Would you like to manage the demo links(at least of the main feautured modules)?

Does anyone have a suggestion or would like to complement more information to this document?
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

McNaz
  • 2006/8/11 8:54

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

I'll probably get flamed for this.. but what the hay...

It is worth mentioninghttp://xtotal.co.uk, which is XOOPS 2.0.14 with the following modules:

1. News 1.44 with no nlrb on HTML hack
2. Latest CBB
3. Contact us with captcha
4. Protector that auto-installs the mainfile.php changes for it to work.
5. Latest xcGal with fixes to make it work with XOOPS 2.0.14
6. Latest PHPStats as a XOOPS module with a Website Visitor Stats block.
7. Xoopspoll
8. mylinks
9. xAsset + Paypal Plugin + Video Player Plugin + 185 page PDF user manual on how to install, configure and use all supplied modules. Containes over 200 screen shots.

The catch? It must be purchased. For your money you get:

1. 3 Months free support on all included modules on our support forums.
2. 25% discount on XoopsDesign.com and graphic-worx.com exceptional XOOPS premium themes.
3. Complete user manual on how to upload XOOPS to your server, install core and all included modules.

If interested then head tohttp://xtotal.co.uk/modules/xasset

Cheers.

snow77
  • 2006/8/11 9:04

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

thanks for the inform, it is of much help to have this pointed out. I'll keep note of this and add it to the document (all main module developers, like you, will be in the document in a featured section)
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

jensclas

Snow says

Quote:
I am in favor of a clear documentation, instructing new users and experieced ones in the tools/modules that can be used with xoops.

Ok...so why not use the documetnation website workspace - it is already there and set to go - check this link - scroll to XOOPS concepts - modules.

XOOPS Module Registry

Module Development

Module Manuals

click on module manuals and you will see I have started An Introductory Review of XOOPS Basic Modules for you. All you need to do is login and edit the page. Use H2 for your major sections and that will create separate sections (I think )
if you want to go this way and want some help pm me.

This way you can include your info, edit the links and keep them up to date and all the core read me file/release notes will need is the link to this manual.

Cheers
jensclas

metropolis
DECISION? - Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/8/11 12:25

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Is here anybody that makes a decision?

It's not that complicated to discuss this for weeks.

davidl2
  • 2006/8/11 12:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Thank you Jen & Snow for giving up your time to look into this.

It is appreciated.

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits