My suggestions, based on my experience with them:

wtravel
Skenow
MadFish
jensclas
sato-san
JAVesey

Anyone else up for some hard work

The tasks list is also not a conclusive one, and suggestions are to be made.

Tom - I'm ready to help! (and stay on topic )

tom
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - Communications Team - June 10th
  • 2007/6/10 19:34

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

PM's sent to slyss and MadFish.

skenow & kurak_bu added to the team.

After reading this thread I feel we've gone a little off track, however I see that DJ has created another thread for this information, therefore I will only reply to what I feel relevant here and then address the rest off to the other thread.

Quote:
yes but remember: English is not my first language and maybe i can help only for the promotion team.

It doesn't matter on what language you speak, we will need people to assist in translations as well as other tasks within the team.

Quote:
Thoughts and additions for the first post:

News
- New Hacks/XOOPSFaqs
- Security patch/alerts (email announcement to users)

I agree with the new hacks and FAQ's, however the the developers may still wish to relay security patches and alerts themselves.

With regards to E-mail announcements, I think this would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure of the implications, I can check this.

I don't know what the costs of bandwidth would be?

X.org alone has something like 40,000+ users, would this create a logistical nightmare?

Could it end up getting X blacklisted as a spammer?

Quote:
Very happy to see the proposal for human-readable documentation about the core system and its architecture to help newcomers start programming. That would be a huge win.

I agree but this will also require someone with a better understanding of the core and it's architecture, perhaps a developer could assist in these docs?

Quote:
Suggestion: Tasks: communications with the XOOPS support local sites, organization, assistance, feedback etc.

As mentioned in my post, I believe the concept of Community coordination will now form it's own team, perhaps you could relay your thoughts with that team.

Quote:
I think that could to be a good idea this: all local support sites could use the same design theme and get an organization as ubuntu.

Now this kinda falls under promotion, as in business it's called 'product branding' and it works, personally I would like to see all support sites follow in-line with a unified design and head navigational system, making it easy for the community on a whole to find the information they need.

Each support site would be different by it's logo:

Logo - FR - Flag
Logo - RU - Flag

and so on.

I don't think it would be fair to force current support sites to come under these requirement, as they signed up-to a pre-existing agreement, however these new standards should be requested of them in the best interests of Xoops, and made mandatory for future applications of new support sites.

Quote:
Excuse me; I do not know if this message is for "Community coordination" or "Tasks of XOOPS Communication".

I'd say it's both hence my original proposal to include them as part of the Com's Team.

However I believe both will not be separate and perhaps a collaboration of team effort should be engaged for this.

Quote:
The local support sites are very importants for the community: a lot of users do not understand english and they need support in the local language.

Of course and I fully agree, hence my suggestions to make our team translate to all support site languages along with submission of the finished article.

Quote:
I want to help in translations to spanish: I had offered my help to Riosoft and I had request to the spanish community

Thank you, I've added your name to the translators list

Quote:
Wouldn't it be easier for him if the sites would be consistent in their design?

Agreed

I'd be keen on getting those webmasters from international support sites involved here too.

Quote:
Tom - I'm ready to help! (and stay on topic )

Your on the list.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

wtravel

I support the idea of having support in local languages on the official X.org site (by means of subdomain or multilangual tool). For users of XOOPS it is much easier to get support because they don't need to post a question on for example xoops.nl as well als xoops.org. Another advantage as mentioned is that design, layout and logo are all easier managed as well as the hardware behind the site(s).

tom
  • 2007/6/10 23:54

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

My additional list has now been altered, to show new names.

I've sent pm's to a few others whom I feel would be good in the team.

Now with this thread becoming rather long on various points which will be covered later, and not really relevant to my original request, peoples intentions may of been misconstrued, therefore I would like to once again ask, if you wish to be part of the Com's team, then please let me know, along with the qualities you feel you can bring to this project.

If I've missed your name, and you have something to contribute then please feel free to step forward.

I'd like to make an immediate start here, as we are not required to wait for the rest of the world, we can report on the current situation, start on docs and so on.

Other names:

Ladysham - WOX
Vaughan - Assistance, advisory and validation of outside news articles (Ones not originating from the our team)
Kind Regards.
Tom

slyss
  • 2007/6/11 6:45

• slyss

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/26

i'm available for this team... for the XOOPS italian community (5000 people today and about new 1000 every year) and for us
[size=x-large]2008 Xoops Book[/size]

phppp
  • 2007/6/11 7:11

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Hey tom and the team members (candidates), you are making great progress!

My humble suggestion: the team seems to become a multi-task unit and I hope the team will be managed properly in terms of task management.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/11 7:18

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

[lease also see irmtfan's offer.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/11 7:27

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
With regards to E-mail announcements, I think this would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure of the implications, I can check this.

I don't know what the costs of bandwidth would be?

X.org alone has something like 40,000+ users, would this create a logistical nightmare?

Could it end up getting X blacklisted as a spammer?

I hadn't thought of any of that :) However, I think its worth looking into. Email newsletters are a very effective way to keep in touch with users, particularly those that don't visit the site often.

A 'rapid response' email alert to users when security patches are released would do a lot to ensure rapid application across the XOOPS community. A lot of the 'I've been hacked' messages we see come from people that don't track activity on xoops.org very closely.

Bandwidth should not be an issue if simple text emails are used. I'm not sure about the spammer thing, but it could probably be negotiated with the service provider (or maybe an external mailing list service could be used, as I don't think the inbuilt XOOPS mailer can cope with that kind of load).

Anyway, something to think about.

tom
  • 2007/6/11 7:59

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
My humble suggestion: the team seems to become a multi-task unit and I hope the team will be managed properly in terms of task management.

I have plans for this, and will show shortly after speaking with all participating members of this team.

Quote:
A 'rapid response' email alert to users when security patches are released would do a lot to ensure rapid application across the XOOPS community. A lot of the 'I've been hacked' messages we see come from people that don't track activity on xoops.org very closely.

Bandwidth should not be an issue if simple text emails are used. I'm not sure about the spammer thing, but it could probably be negotiated with the service provider (or maybe an external mailing list service could be used, as I don't think the inbuilt XOOPS mailer can cope with that kind of load).

I'm inclined to agree, however this duty would have to fall to the trust and the project, due to cost, bandwidth issues, etc, etc.

As you know there is an admin feature to have the latest XOOPS news within an XOOPS webmasters admin area, therefore they should be up-to speed with the latest news if they use that feature.
Kind Regards.
Tom

unknowntwin
  • 2007/6/11 15:40

• unknowntwin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/11

I'm new to the forums, but I just wanted to give a suggestion regarding the e-mail discussion above.

Perhaps, you can make it so that people can sign up to receive e-mails from different categories. Maybe a seperate page or even within their profiles. Right now, one can choose to receive e-mails from the admins. However, I was thinking more along the lines of receiving e-mails specific to things. For example, receiving e-mails about security patches. Receiving e-mails about new modules. etc... Users should be able to choose one or all of these things. Some might only want to receive e-mails regarding important security alerts and patches.

This way, people can choose, on their own, which categories they would like to receive e-mails about.

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits