Bender
Re: Kicking some ideas #2: More BB-Codes
  • 2006/8/28 16:03

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

jensclas wrote:
Off topic a bit...I don't know if the best place to put my wish re bb codes is here but I will anyway - This has nothing to do with the codes but [...]

Yes that is off-topic here. Let me just find a moderator somewhere and i will get you out of here in a minute ... *looking around in weird way*

Quote:
It goes like this.... when I finish writing a post like this one here I think- oh...should have made this bold but I mean my first 'this' and to do this I have to either know the code and go back and edit it or type it in the add box and format it only to find it ends up at the botom of the post and I then have to cut and paste it to where I want it.

At least to skip the bold marked step ... get yourself a decent browser *Opera* and you will at least be able to select text and then replacing it directly by clicking the "Add" button after entering or pasting your text into the box.

Well to continue this since it´s general UI improvement i actually suggest opening a seperate thread. Thanks.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Bender
  • 2006/8/28 17:16

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

A little assortment of replies:

About the br tag ... got no qualified opinion on that myself regarding the use in forms sanitation or not. So i be quit on

that matter.

Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote:

Some of these extra tags are good, XOOPS 1.x had (has?) a way of adding your own BB-codes to the sanitiser. It was removed because it's also dangerous, and it's difficult to monitor how it is used by less-knowledgable webmasters.

Maybe a flexible system like SmartMedia's media types is an option? With a description and some sort of risk assessment

(low, medium, high, plus advisories) and group permission management (who can use which tags).

Good point - though it could come with a warning.

Quote:
Other then that, whai I'd like to see is extra properties for bb-codes. The image code, it needs class, alt text, title, etc. URL's need a title, tabindex, accesskey (and an automagic replacement of & into &).

Agreed. Some of these are already floating around in the current hacks.

Quote:
Quotes need a class. Right now it is ompossible te set these, and make a site accessible in the process.

?

Quote:
Also, the tags should create semantic output: [ b] should produce < strong>, not < b>. [ i] should produce < em>, and so on and so forth. Only then can a truly semantic markup be achieved, and can design and content be separated.

Hmmmm ... just from browsing a bit i found several sites stating that for example browsers usually render < em> as italic. Is this a fixed definition somewhere? Since if i put an italic tag i want italic in my posting.
(to clarify: i just found it strange to see this note of "usually" on several pages. If < em> is officially defined as italic and just some non standard browsers would render it faulty i would agree. If this is not a strict definition than i would disagree since people are used to [ i] being italic and not something that depends on the goodwill of the browser or website)

Quote:
Biteronboard wrote:
How about topic options.

For example [close] Which would lock the topic.
-or-
[close] Rename the thread by typing here. [/close]

? Not sure i am following correctly here? How is this supposed to work? Sounds kinda module specific and not like some tags that would be sanitized from bb code into html code. ?

Quote:
phppp wrote:
Seems most of the "feature"s are available in the hack package:
https://xoops.org.cn/modules/wfdownloads/visit.php?cid=9&lid=423

Be aware it is a Chinese XOOPS 2.2* package. We ever had an English version on dev.xoops.org newbb package but lost during a site attack

Will have a lock. Thanks.

Quote:
I would still keep those features as hack except a few ones for user interface enhancement like the "cursor
positioning"

I would think cursor positioning would not be something done by the sanitizer but instead by the editor code.(??)

Generally i would still be going for requesting inclusion of some of the more common (but simple) tags so XOOPS doesn´t fall behind others in the areas where its really simple to keep up to speed.

Talking about the other (complex(speed) and security related tags) i definately agree that those should be kept in a hack except someone from the community would build an appropriate interface to handle things.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Herko
  • 2006/8/28 19:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

Bender wrote:
Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote:
Quotes need a class. Right now it is ompossible te set these, and make a site accessible in the process.

?

Ehm, I meant that tags like [ quote] need to have a class property, (same with lists, and other 'design' related elements), to be able to give them a flexible style.
And in general, tags need to have these kinds of poperties set, to make them accessible.
Quote:

Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote:
Also, the tags should create semantic output: [ b] should produce < strong>, not < b>. [ i] should produce < em>, and so on and so forth. Only then can a truly semantic markup be achieved, and can design and content be separated.

Hmmmm ... just from browsing a bit i found several sites stating that for example browsers usually render < em> as italic. Is this a fixed definition somewhere? Since if i put an italic tag i want italic in my posting.
(to clarify: i just found it strange to see this note of "usually" on several pages. If < em> is officially defined as italic and just some non standard browsers would render it faulty i would agree. If this is not a strict definition than i would disagree since people are used to [ i] being italic and not something that depends on the goodwill of the browser or website)

The point with semantic markup (and xhtml 1.0+) is that the (x)html is to structure content, not to add any layout to it. Italic is a deprecated element in xhtml 1.0 strict, because it tells a browser how to style it, while the < em> and < strong> tags tell it to emphasise it, or make it strong. In your stylesheet, you get to choose how you want emphasised text to look. By default that is italic, but some people like to underline emphasized texts. The markup is for structuring, the stylesheets are for layout and design.

Herko

CeBepuH
  • 2006/8/28 20:32

• CeBepuH

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/6/10

Quote:

Bender wrote:
Quote:

CeBepuH wrote:
Just tested the undocumented [*] on 2.2.4 and it does not seem to work very good. For examlpe if I have a list of 3 only the first two will receive a bullet and the last one will remain with a [*]. So it would definitely need some improvement.

Can you provide me an example to reproduce this? I just installed 2.2.4 with cbb 3.04 and could not make this happen.

Hmmm... On second test the problem is a bit more elusive. Try doing it in 2 seperate posts.

Post 1:

Some textsTesting enclosing [ * ] in a [ list ] tags:

[list]
[*] 
item 1
[*] item 2
[*] item 3 the bullet won't show here if there aren't any other characters below this line.[/list]

Post 2:
list using only a [ * ]:

[*] 
item 1
[*] item 2
[*] item 3 the bullet won't show here if there aren't any other characters below this line.
Humans need fantasy to be humans. To be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape.

iHackCode

So i uh had this dream.. No not like.. One of those.. speeches of what i see the future as (maybe later).

well i'll just go straight to the point.
» why are the img, url, code,... tags case sensitive.. we should change that.
» im also wishing that this code gets changed. or some discussion about it. Linky Linky

--=here im getting a bit off topic with the whole adding more bb codes to core idea =--
» i also had an idea about a news bbcode [news id=##]um.. i dont know what could be put in here yet.[/news] (it would grab the storyid ## from the database and display the usual stuff. author, article, and the links. (but then there would have to be a way to limit the use of this code to a certain group.)

» i was also thinking of some BBCode Manager but dang that was one weird dream i had. it was like when they were hacking the gibson in hackers'
-- i saw a blinking file caled plugins..
in plugins there are files like bb_code.php, bb_url.php, bb_news.php, bb_code.gif.. etc..
-- a module. would check this plugins folder if there are any files in there.. then it would check the format.. so a bad file wont kill the module.. and by activating the plugin. it would include code in the functions in the bb_???,php file. and another function for the image for the button in the editor.
-- so how would the system know about these changes.... maybe a setting to enable external bbcode manager. (this i havent thought out thoroughly yet)..
-- and the module.textsanitizer file would have code that would include the file/instructions for the bbcode replacement .. that is stored in the .. database? a file?.. and if using regular bbcode.. then it would just do the normal codes that are already in there. .. the same goes with the editor buttons.
-- the java script file.. i dont know about...xoops_js and <{$xoops_module_header}>,, but it gotta be put in ther somehow.
==
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

mortuk
  • 2006/9/20 6:35

• mortuk

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/12/13

gud ideaz - you shud suggest at sorceforge site.

Peekay
  • 2006/9/20 10:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The DHTML editor is essential piece of XOOPS and it's good to see something is underway to improve it. On BB codes:

[ list ]

Excellent idea, bulleted and numbers?

[ xoops_url=modules/news/index.php ]News item[ /xoops_url ]

To link to an item on the site. Should automatically open in same browser window.

[ tab ]

I know. But would be nice!

On a related, rather than off topic, I actually agree with jensclas that the inability to highlight a word and press 'B' or add a smiley at the cursor position is more of a problem than not having enough BB codes to play with. Can you not steal and customise the Wordpress or DokuWiki editors, 'cos they are really nice.

I would like to see the image manager button hidden as a pref. It's really confusing to have that visible if you have disallowed anonymous users from using it.

IMHO
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

incama
  • 2006/9/20 13:46

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Ehm, I meant that tags like [ quote] need to have a class property, (same with lists, and other 'design' related elements), to be able to give them a flexible style.
And in general, tags need to have these kinds of poperties set, to make them accessible.

Or that the orginal blockquote element is generated instead of making an extra class (eg .xoopsquote). No use to create extra classes whilst the standard html elements are already there.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

Herko
  • 2006/9/20 14:02

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Agreed Incama. Now it generates a div classed xoopsQuote, PLUS a blockquote tag. The [code ] tag does the same: a div classed xoopsCode, and a <code> AND a <pre> tag. Only a <pre> tag should suffice.

OK, for the code and quote bb-code tags, no styling attibutes are necessary

Herko

limecity
  • 2006/9/22 7:49

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

I seen one of the phpbb function, where they allow the user to add a youtube video using bb codes

[youtube] [/youtube]

can that be implemented in xoops?
is there any hack available?
http://www.mounthiking.com
all your hiking gears and gadgets

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits