barryc
Re: Customising background of popup windows
  • 2009/7/14 2:12

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Good suggestion. I also had to add the id to some other <div> tags. I'm left with a narrow band of the theme css "breaking through" as you can see here. I haven't found how to get rid of that yet.

[edit] I found a break tag that was causing the "break through". I surrounded that with div tags and now get a plain blue background.

Well, it seems my floundering around has helped uncover a few minor problems in the XOOPS core code. I haven't tried to correct those tag mismatches on my site. I assume you will let the core developers know and they'll be fixed in a future release.

barryC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

culex
  • 2009/7/14 8:46

• culex

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/23

In FF it looks really nice, but in IE I also see this band, but also each line is out of controll..

Maybe you should check the style. This could give you some pointers what to edit :)

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

ghia
  • 2009/7/14 14:10

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

If you have a difference in showing it with IE en FF, then these are mosttimes problems with compliance to standards.

Checked out your dialog:
Your start tag of the div has no ending bracket ( > ) and just before this starting div tag you should insert the missing </head><body> tags.

barryc
  • 2009/7/14 16:37

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Oops. I must have accidentally deleted that closing > when playing around with various options, such as using the png image that produces the blue background gradient. I was trying to avoid the junction of the blue background color I've chosen against the style gradient behind it. You see that junction depending on the number of users online. Thanks for pointing out my omission. I also followed your advice to add the missing tags.

I've now looked at the pop-up with both FF and IE v8 on the PC and it looks right. On my Mac, which I normally use, it is fine in all browsers except IE. The zen-ocean theme doesn't render properly on IE on the Mac but that browser is so old nobody should use it. Even the MS site itself doesn't render on IE for the Mac.

The ideal solution to this problem would be to stipulate a different style for the pop-up windows. The opening html and head tags, and the enclosed link tags, are apparently generated somewhere else. I don't know if it would be possible to insert code to use a different style for these windows. What would be nice in a future version of XOOPS would be the ability to select the style for pop-ups in prefs.

Now a personal comment and question. By profession I am a veterinary pathologist and research scientist, recently retired. I have managed the aka.org site since its inception, about 13 years ago but I have minimal programming skills. I'd really like to learn to do some php/mySQL programming. I have in mind a module for our site that would manage nomenclatural and bibliographic data. My question is, do you guys have any suggestions as where to start?

barryC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

culex
  • 2009/7/14 17:04

• culex

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/23

Personally I like these documents about module building.

theCat's 2004 tutorial

Kaotik's tutorials

And still use a lot the examples in these pages

W3Schools php tutorial

Php website

But also this could be good

Mamba's book list

But ask questions and just play around with the code to see how it's working. In a testing enviroment of course :)
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

ghia
  • 2009/7/14 18:38

• ghia

Quote:
I have in mind a module for our site that would manage nomenclatural and bibliographic data. My question is, do you guys have any suggestions as where to start?
Did you have had a look at the Lexikon - Lexique modules?

barryc
  • 2009/7/14 19:51

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I haven't. Can you tell me where to get it? I can't find it in the XOOPS modules area and the search function on the XOOPS site is broken at the moment. No text box appears under Search.

barryC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

ghia
  • 2009/7/14 23:41

• ghia

Use /search.php or www.babylonbyxoops.net

barryc
  • 2009/7/15 0:21

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks. I did use search.php directly and found reference to the modules and where I could download them in the forums. Now I'll take a look at them.

barryC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits