blackmax
Re: Is Xoops the solution to my situation?
  • 2007/6/29 3:13

• blackmax

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/28

BlueStocking, a PDF version is something I have never thought of. Interesting idea. I was, and am, attracted to a CMS such as XOOPS or Wordpress (which didn't work -- check it out at Iraq Timeline Blog if you're curious, but it isn't anywhere near ready for release and probably never will be) to handle the content. One site I like, ePluribus Media, runs something fairly similar with Scoop and Drupal, but from what I read, I need far more PHP expertise than I have for Drupal or Joomla. Another site I like that's even closer to what I do, Center for Cooperative Research runs on some system I don't recognize. I've asked them which system they use to manage their content.

I asked my site host if he had MySQL and PHP available because I was thinking of migrating to a CMS like Wordpress, and his answer was to set me up with Wordpress -- wonderfully cooperative, but WP just didn't punch my ticket. I hope he won't have any problems scratching WP and installing XOOPS or something like it (I'm also looking at Etomite) instead.

No, you're right, the site I have is far too large for easy use, no matter how I tweak it. Before I started subdividing pages, some pages were over a meg (!) in content, and some are still around 500KB -- way too big for a static site. And I have 400 pages. Ack.

Are you hinting that XOOPS won't efficiently manage this amount of content?

BlueStocking

Are you hinting that XOOPS won't efficiently manage this amount of content?

Not at all, it will handle that content like a breeze. I'm hinting that the button's and other bells and whistles on the original document gets in the way of its functionality.
and the file sizes need to be drastically reduced.
You will be way ahead of the game with xoops.

That is my opinion.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

blackmax
  • 2007/6/29 20:40

• blackmax

• Just popping in

I know I'm beating this into the ground, but I have a couple of other areas of curiosity.

*Does XOOPS easily generate individual item tags and tag clouds?

*Can it generate some sort of "title list," i.e. a table of contents of some sort, for all posts or items in a particular category for easy navigation by titles?

*Does it allow the admin to manage category navigation as desired -- i.e. no restrictions to ascending/descending, chronological, alphabetical, etc?

(As you might expect, all of these questions are answered by Wordpress with a resounding "no.")

I have to say, one reason why I'm moving closer to a decision to go with XOOPS is the friendly, helpful reception I've received on these forums. Thanks, people.

BlueStocking

http://www.xoops.net.br

You might look at the forms on that -- go into create a form and see if it will do what you are suggesting.

login as guest and feel free to create a form.
There are other programs out there I am not familar with because what I am doing is just trying to provide and enviroment that you may test the product before you invest time into something you may find is not right for you.

If you need me to install a specific module, I will do that.

blackmax
  • 2007/6/29 22:33

• blackmax

• Just popping in

Quote:
You might look at the forms on that -- go into create a form and see if it will do what you are suggesting.

I don't even know how to begin creating a form, but I will by the end of the weekend.

I appreciate your help, and may ask you to install a module once I figure out what I might want to experiment with. Right now, I'm too ignorant of how XOOPS works to even know what to ask for.

giba
  • 2007/6/30 1:01

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

@BS - If you it will be able to return wiwimod to demonstrate the use for the staff, would be very good also.

Now I am not with much time because I am creating a documentation for xoops, but promise that I will help it to create a structure of orientation for new users not official is clearly.

BlueStocking

Quote:

@BS - If you it will be able to return wiwimod to demonstrate the use for the staff, would be very good also

Yes,
However I can help.
Everything I do is non-official

I like it that way.
gives me independence to go at my own speed.

Lets put the new alpha test with the mediawiki where we can switch back and forth and see if we can use the same MySQL for both.http://www.xoops.net.br

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits