sailjapan
Re: [XoopsProject] request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Community is to an Open Source Software Project as fans are to a Baseball Game.

We have the "opportunity" to be on the team that's doing the work, but we are not guaranteed a position. Skill, effort and hard work earn us our place. Ultimately, it's the coach that calls the final shots and leads the way for the team.

The fans in the stands make the game possible. Without them, there would be no reason to play the game. However, the fans don't dictate how the game is played.

If you need a clearer example, look at how other large Open Source Software Projects are run.

What some of the community are proposing is not open source. It's a fee for all.

The definition of insanity has been said to be, "doing the same things and expecting different results."

If the project is going to grow into a true enterprise class CMS, we are going to have to stop making the same mistakes over and over.

Ah. I see.

Go the Blues

Actually, I don't think that what I or anyone else here was doing was tanatamount to calling for a free for all. I see dozens of talented people standing up and saying 'you guys look like you've bitten off more than you can chew, we can help spread the load a bit." (I don't include myself in that group, btw. I know my limitations. Happy to help if needed, happy to sit and watch if not). What it looks like to me is that if you can't handle the work load that a fully useable site requires (we're not talking devs here, web skills and community handling abilities and marketing are what the site's all about), why wouldn't you take on the volunteers and bring them into the team?
Do you really think this is the way to become an enterprise solution? Go take a look at RedHat.com (or redhat.in or redhat.it ) and tell us why they chose to go with a standard image. I hate to say it, but go take a look at Joomla or Drupal (XOOPS' main rivals). All of them have their sites together and co-ordinated. #OOPS# extensive in their dissemination of information too. Don't find their modules, docs and devs scattered all over the place... Shame their product doesn't hold a candle to XOOPS

Anyway, I'll shut up now and go buy a hot dog.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

JMorris
Re: [XoopsProject] request - report from XOOPS official sites under-construction
  • 2007/6/10 19:38

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

sailjapan,

It's not a matter of turning away help. On the contrary. I agree with you that there are many talented people stepping up for the team. It's more a matter of structure and organization. If a clear line is not drawn between "Official" and "Community" we'll just end right back up where we are now.

Quote:
well, are we clever enough to know the subdirectory redirection feature?
On an end user point of view/need, to have a remarkable memotechnic url would be nice indeed.
fr.xoops.org ==> frxoops.org
de.xoops.org ==> myxoops.org

Yes, Marco, I'm familiar with the technique. It's called an .htaccess redirect. You can get a duplicate content penalty slapped on you for doing that if you don't do it right.

My point behind not agreeing to such a domain convention as it blurs the line between what is "Official" and what is "Community"
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

kurak_bu
  • 2007/6/10 19:45

• kurak_bu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/9/5 1

So the good idea is using .htaccess to achieve:

Quote:
fr.xoops.org ==> frxoops.org
de.xoops.org ==> myxoops.org

Have we got consensus in this issue?
[size=x-small](It is not so easy to achieve a consensus in any point )[/size]

davidl2
  • 2007/6/10 19:52

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Some areas may have more than one Certified Support Site - so perhaps it is better to go to a landing page, which has a brief text about each of the site.

A sort-of welcome page.

This could give links to each of the sites.

I'm personally not keen on the redirect method myself.. particularly if it damages google ratings etc - but perhaps this would be a neutral way to achieve this.

Just my little thought only.

snow77
  • 2007/6/10 19:52

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

quoting Marco (ref #)Quote:
as long as i know, rowd was supposed to work on the xoops.com, and made already one good attempt. What's going on on that? Lost?

Lost the work no. It means they left us what they did in a set of html files which can be used as reference to build the site by whomever will be in charge of building it and it is in the hands of the current XOOPS project leader, the direction of the creation of the XOOPS official site(s) and it's future.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

web-M
  • 2007/6/11 21:31

• web-M

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 2

Just for my clearness (i'm not an native English speeker so sometimes things are not easy to follow)

Is it requested from local supportsites to report here or can we go (for now) the way it was?

giba
  • 2007/6/11 21:50

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

This idea I already sent one or two the years more than.

In mine to understand, would not have here to exist in the front-end o has supported and yes in appropriate place.

The site of the project must be for the project. The news, releases, official communities of support, maketing of the project, etc…

We are working to also change our site of support for this concept.

Without quarrel in the initial page of the project, it is not good and it will never be. This is my opnion only.

[pt_br]
Esta idéia eu já enviei a mais de um ou dois anos.

No meu entender, aqui n?o deveria existir no front-end o suporte e sim em local apropriado.

O site do projeto deve ser para o projeto. Noticias, releases, comunidades de suporte oficiais, maketing do projeto, etc...

Nós estamos trabalhando para mudar também o nosso site de suporte para este conceito.

Sem discuss?o na página inicial do projeto, n?o é bom e nunca será. Esta é minha opni?o apenas.
[/pt_br]

wcrwcr
  • 2007/6/11 22:13

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Regarding that matter i can?t forget all the work done by Jseymour.

BTW: where is he? He starts a really great job on this.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits