Diplomat
How to Create a New Module: Where are the Docs ???
  • 2006/6/8 18:33

• Diplomat

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/17

Hi Guys/Gals:

I've been racking my head about creating a new module, but where the blazes is the documentation to do so? Can someone point me to detailed docs on how the XOOPS modules are structured (i.e. how to create one with blocks) and coded? Themes are not a problem, but I couldn't find ANY decent documentation on how to create a new XOOPS module.

Wish XOOPS had a documentation wiki like WordPress! :-

Thanks.
S

tcnet
Re: How to Create a New Module: Where are the Docs ???
  • 2006/6/8 19:01

• tcnet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/5/12

jensclas

Unfortunately we do not yet had a how to write a module manual yet on xoopsdocs...but there is a doc around and we are hunting it out for you - stay tuned.

stefan88
  • 2006/6/8 19:15

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Try the link "Module Dev Forge" on the left in Community. There is "Dev Wiki" (again in left column - Main menu)...

Also try this treat:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24607&forum=20&post_id=107411#forumpost107411

with link to this PDF:http://dev.xoops.org/dl/ModuleBuilding.pdf

and to this sample module:http://xoops.jan304.org/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=19&cid=8

Hope this helps for a start

Anonymous
  • 2006/6/8 19:23

• Anonymous

• Since:

There's also the FAQs on this site.
Outline of a basic module

Section about modules

Diplomat
  • 2006/6/8 19:24

• Diplomat

• Just popping in

Hi tcnet:

That link (Xoops doc site here:http://xoopsdocs.net/modules/docs/) provides zero/nadda/zip/blackhole information on module creation

Steve

Diplomat
  • 2006/6/8 19:34

• Diplomat

• Just popping in

Thanks Stefan88 - that is useful. Is there any way to tell if this documentation is good for the latest stable version of XOOPS?

Regards
S

Diplomat
  • 2006/6/8 19:39

• Diplomat

• Just popping in

Thanks Juliette. It seems it is hard to know if the documentation is current or out of date until you spend time trying to build a module and then find out it doesn't work

If there is one thing that the XOOPS team might want to focus on for more wider use of XOOPS, I think it should be proper docs, especially for developers.

Regards
S

McNaz
  • 2006/6/8 20:00

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Documentation? A developer worth his weight in salt would sneer at the mere suggestion of looking at any documentation. Blatant cheating is what that is!!

But seriously... the docs usually just tell you the mechanics of building a module... the instructions might work but they won't necessarily tell you the best(c) way of doing it.

IMHO the best thing you can do is pick up a geat module like xHelp and study the source code there. Pay particular attention to the way classes and class handlers are used and the way the PHP logic is elegantly abstracted from the presentation HTML code.

It might take you longer than reading a few pages but you'll come out a better man/woman for it .

HTH.

Cheers.

McNaz.

Anonymous
  • 2006/6/8 20:05

• Anonymous

• Since:

The 'XOOPS team' is a limited resource, making guides for module development is something that can easily be done by module developers themselves through the module dev wiki.

To a large extent the information is already there, just that no-one yet has taken the initiative to put it together into an actual guide. If you feel the call...???

I agree with McNaz though, the best way to learn is to study the code of a good module.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits