barryc
Replication of notification messages
  • 2009/11/16 17:57

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Something odd happened to the notifications messages from xoops.org early this morning. I received multiple email messages notifying me of posts to a thread I'm monitoring. All are time stamped at 4:44, within a few seconds of each other. Furthermore, I also received notifications via PM, even though I am set to receive them by email. The PMs were all from anonymous.

This may have just been a temporary glitch but I thought I'd say something in case it is something more serious.

[Edit] I am continuing to get notifications by email and PM.

barryC

deka87
Re: Replication of notification messages
  • 2009/11/16 18:57

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

thanks god i am not alone with this issue. i have reported this bug before and we didn't come to any conclusion. every time i have a notification event on my website (catads module in my case) when notifications are sent to alot of people, several users report to receive dozens of them. one of them reported to have received over 400 (!!!!) instanses of the same notification today. it started when i updated to 2.4 branch. guys lets take a close look on this cos my users do really hate me .

barryc
  • 2009/11/16 19:00

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Well, in this case it is the XOOPS site that is sending out the duplicate notifications. I am getting them by PM and email and I'm getting duplicate emails, one being for the post in the current thread and one being for a post to the current forum - that is, the message are different, as if I have those two options checks. I don't, I have only checked "new posts in the current thread".

barryC

Peekay
  • 2009/11/16 19:54

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Yes, me too. Got 13 email notifications timed (GMT) at around:

Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:49:56 +0000

I never choose email as notification method. Same as barryc, I have duplicate post and forum notifications in PM too.

I did notice that XO was offline briefly this afternoon (no DB connection). Has there been a server re-start perhaps?

P.S. When is the 'delete notifications' bug gonna get fixed?. It is a real pain deleting these one at a time.

Mamba
  • 2009/11/16 20:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We're looking into it.

Some of the multiple notifications were caused by multiple versions of the same massage posted on the Forums, when the server was slow and people hit the "Submit" key again and again.

But I am checking also if XOOPS send multiple email/PM related to only one message.

If this is the case, we might need to close the Website to avoid more notifications.

trabis
  • 2009/11/16 20:53

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Deka, can you test this:

In file include/functions.php line 592
function &xoops_getMailer()
{
//    static $mailer;

global $xoopsConfig;
/*    
if (is_object($mailer)) {
        return $mailer;
    }
*/

include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/class/xoopsmailer.php';
    if (
file_exists($file XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/language/' $xoopsConfig['language'] . '/xoopsmailerlocal.php')) {
        include_once 
$file;
    } else if (
file_exists($file XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/language/english/xoopsmailerlocal.php')) {
        include_once 
$file;
    }

if (
class_exists('XoopsMailerLocal')) {

$mailer = new XoopsMailerLocal();
    } else {

$mailer = new XoopsMailer();
    }
    return 
$mailer;
}

barryc
  • 2009/11/16 21:33

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
We're looking into it.

Some of the multiple notifications were caused by multiple versions of the same massage posted on the Forums, when the server was slow and people hit the "Submit" key again and again.

But I am checking also if XOOPS send multiple email/PM related to only one message.

If this is the case, we might need to close the Website to avoid more notifications.

I saw that the web site was closed for a while so I am not sure if my latest blitz of notifications came before or after that. The latest group were for ghia's message in this thread and came in at 12:53 - 12.54.

The pattern is that I get one notification of "new post in to thread", then multiple (varying from four to seven) notifications of "new post to forum". The PM notifications are only of "new post to forum". The bug, assuming it is one, seems to be in the code for sending those.

barryC

trabis
  • 2009/11/16 23:04

• trabis

• Core Developer

Ok, I have the fix:
include/functions.php line 592

function &xoops_getMailer()
{
    static 
$mailer;
    global 
$xoopsConfig;
    if (
is_object($mailer)) {
        return 
$mailer;
    }
    include_once 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/class/xoopsmailer.php';
    if (
file_exists($file XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/language/' $xoopsConfig['language'] . '/xoopsmailerlocal.php')) {
        include_once 
$file;
    } else if (
file_exists($file XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/language/english/xoopsmailerlocal.php')) {
        include_once 
$file;
    }
    unset(
$mailer); //add this line please

if (class_exists('XoopsMailerLocal')) {

$mailer = new XoopsMailerLocal();
    } else {

$mailer = new XoopsMailer();
    }
    return 
$mailer;
}

This used to be "=& new" but I removed the "&" operator for php5.3 compatibility. I was not aware of the impact this could have, I'll have to review the changes ASAP so we can release a patch.

barryc
  • 2009/11/16 23:35

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I'm not sure what has been done on the XOOPS site, but now I am getting the "new post to forum" messages as multiple copies by PM but there is no PM for "new post to thread". Furthermore, I am getting no email notifications at all.

The latest PMs are date stamped 2009/11/16 15:04:13 through 2009/11/16 15:04:17, and that is the notification for the message from trabis (https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=320020&topic_id=70108&forum=20#forumpost320020).

I got seven copies of that PM notification.

[Update] I just got an email message for one of those for which I have multiple PMs. It's date stamped 14:04 but I got it at 15:45 Pacific time. I think one hour of the difference is accounted for by the difference between my time and the XOOPS server time. The remainder is email delay, I guess. In other words, the lack of email notifications mentioned above could be due to a delay in the transmission of emails.

barryC

trabis
  • 2009/11/16 23:58

• trabis

• Core Developer

The fix was submitted now on xoops.org. Please check if it is all ok.

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits