baseline
Joomla Vs. Xoops
  • 2007/8/14 17:44

• baseline

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/8/14

Hi all,

I'm about to start a web site for Linux related info and I'm currently evaluating several CMS's: Xoops, Joomla and e107.
I'm really very impressed with all of them but in my view XOOPS has by far the more supportive community, you guys are really helpfull.
That being said, Joomla has the best templates.. I mean... The diference is enormous and most of them look really professional.
Is there any specific reason why Joomla templates are so much more appealing?

Tkx.

vaughan
Re: Joomla Vs. Xoops
  • 2007/8/14 18:00

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

it's joomlas selling point.. they had company backing etc. they had good marketing people who knew that a good packaging and visual style would be a huge success.

but in the real world, you can't judge a book by it's cover. *coughs M$*

jkerr
  • 2007/8/14 18:01

• jkerr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/8/7 1

Hi Baseline,

I think you'll find more than just better templates with Joomla.

In my experience developing sites on both platforms, joomla has hands-down, a much more active developer community with many, many more extensions (plug-ins) available, which are updated much more frequently.

True, the user communities for both are great, but I have had nothing but headaches trying to find good solutions for the sites i'm working with based on XOOPS.

So far, every solution in XOOPS I have found requires me to install modules that were created in 2004 or earlier, and never updated, and/or documented very poorly.

I'm sure XOOPS is perfectly suited for many site designs, but when push comes to shove, i think you'll find joomla is an environment that will supply you with much better solutions when you need them the most.

Don't need to slag XOOPS here, but that's the way I see it.

What type of site are you developing? What type of tools and modules do you need?

Make sure you ask all the right questions before you base your site on an infrastructure that won't give you what you need.

slyss
  • 2007/8/15 6:25

• slyss

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/26

Quote:

vaughan wrote:

but in the real world, you can't judge a book by it's cover. *coughs M$*

ohhh it's true!!!!

with XOOPS you can made all YOU need...

with joomla you can made all developer has chosen

best
[size=x-large]2008 Xoops Book[/size]

baseline
  • 2007/8/17 15:26

• baseline

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/8/14

Tks for the answers guys. So it was commercial backing that did it...
Still, IMHO it would be a good idea for the XOOPS community to invest more time in this matter. It's a shame to pick another CMS for this reason but I think this will be the case.

Cheers

BlueStocking

by baseline on 2007/8/17 10:26:16

From an End User point of view I have had experience with both systems. By end user here I mean the one who browses the web and decides to stop and stay a spell. XOOPS is much more enjoyable.

Stop by and visit some of the XOOPS sites listed by the community.

http://www.xoops.net.br/index.php?title=Xoopswiki2:Community_Portal

or check or add to the current events.

We would love to have you as an active member of the XOOPS community, but if you decide on another, you are still welcome here.

End User Rep
BlueStocking
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Northern
  • 2007/8/17 15:52

• Northern

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/12/26

Its a shame you dont feel the need to look into things a bit farther.

there are 100's of XOOPS themes, some have a old vintage look, and then you have some updated fancy looking themes.
and in most cases, you can post a them to XOOPS ( with permission from the designer that is... )

you should looks around,

http://www.northernneons.com

http://www.teamzwinkspikes.com

im sure many of use can supply links to sites that use XOOPS in may ways, and have a non XOOPS feel to them, just as mambo/joomla do.

but IMHO, we have the better and less confusing control panels.

Marc

awarrior
  • 2007/8/18 19:47

• awarrior

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/9

I have to agree with Northern on his point about the control panel, I kept going round in circles with it.

I have used both XOOPS and Joomla and quite honestly would rather use XOOPS as it is far more user friendly.

As to their templates an better images, well why not use them on Xoops. The templates I use on one of my sites is a hacked Joomla template, which I had to buy.

Also a lot of the modules on Joomla are not free.
I'm smarter than the average bear boo boo......

Catzwolf
  • 2007/8/19 12:27

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Well, after having used both XOOPS and Joomla in a development capacity, I would have to say that Joomla is so much easier to work with in many respects and the actually coding is not as bad as I was told.

I can use Joomla straight out the box and start working on my site and I don't have to install any third party module to do so and hope that the components/modules I install will be compatible with the version I am running.

There are only two real issues that I have with Joomla right now and these are well outweighed with the amount I have with XOOPS right now.

1. Higher number of SQL queries, but I am optimizing these as I work.
2. Knowing which module/mambots belong to which component due to lack of information is a hindrance at times.

Basically, everything I had been fighting to get into XOOPS as the default package is in Joomla. Section, categories and articles etc.

However I do miss smarty templating, having logic mixed with presentation is something I personally would like to keep separate and version 1.5 has addressed this issue.

Xoops does have well structured code but I found that having to develop for so many different versions was strain and a waste of my development time. I would rather have put my energy and time coding for one version and not have to worry about all the different frameworks that are required just to get modules working on.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

kc0maz
  • 2007/8/19 13:12

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I can use Joomla straight out the box and start working on my site and I don't have to install any third party module to do so and hope that the components/modules I install will be compatible with the version I am running.

---

Basically, everything I had been fighting to get into XOOPS as the default package is in Joomla. Section, categories and articles etc.

Do you have any objections to packing modules together.

I know the 2.2.X branch has done this here. After you down load the core, then you download the package that best meets the needs of site you are working on.

or would you rather have the modules already included with the core download. ie XOOPS core + Community Pack = XOOPS for community web sites as one download?
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits