kc0maz
Re: Xoops Core Discussion and Roadmap
  • 2007/6/28 17:18

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:

I will clear up my previous statement. When I mentioned the admin area, I was of course talking about the admin area of your own XOOPS install.

Giving the admin the ability to report bugs from the backend would collect as much information via the script regarding the users own environment/install/OS etc and send that information directly to XOOPS etc.

This would then eliminate as much of user input as possible. Much of this was planned with me and mekdrop over at Zarilia. It isn’t that hard to implement actually.

Is this product ready for deployment now?

Will this product give you everything you need to resolve most issues?
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

Catzwolf
  • 2007/6/28 17:29

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

This product was part of the Zarilia new admin features, I had started working on the code to this, unfortunately the code is not capatible with the current version of Xoops.

ATB

Catz

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/28 17:34

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Such a product would be very useful.

However since it is unavailable to us at this time.

we will have do it the old-fashion way.

What do you need / want
where do you want it
How do you want it

All I am try to do is get the groundwork set up for the Community Coordination team to do their job.
--unknown

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/29 15:04

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Quote:

skenow wrote:

The Report Core Bug item in the main menu (titled 'Community') would be my first place to submit. And, when you follow that link, there are some pretty good instructions there that answer your other questions.

Submitting the bug there provides tracking, too.

From what I gather, the developers would like unresolved Core Bugs and Feature requests submitted to SF.net with a minimum of the following information:

XOOPS Version:
Module Name/Version:
PHP Version:
MySQL Version:
Web Server Software (Apache/IIS/Other):
Operating System:
Theme you are using:
Custom template: (Yes/No)
Debug info. When posting any debug messages please 'wrap' the message like this:
Debug message here

A full description of the issue, please indicate how the issue can be reproduced:

The Community Coordinators would use the XOOPS Bug Reporting forum to open topics and collect this information, then use that same topic to provide updates to the community about that issue, once the issue is resolved, and documented, the topic would be closed by the Coordinators who opened it. Does this sound right to everyone here?

KC0MAZ
--unknown

underdog
  • 2007/6/29 15:40

• underdog

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/21

Excellent.
Are "normal" users (underdogs) also allowed to add information and to help reproduce the bugs?

Dave_L
  • 2007/6/29 15:41

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

A couple of comments from a core developer:

1. Before reporting a core bug, it's helpful if the reporter could first attempt to determine whether it's really a core bug, or whether it's a bug in a module, theme, server configuration, etc.

If the reporter isn't sure, a discussion thread might be started in a support forum to enlist others to help with that determination. Or maybe kc0maz's team can assist with that. If necessary, the core developers can be called upon to help.

If it turns out to be a problem outside of the core, then it would be better to report it in the appropriate place, such as the module's support forum, theme's support forum, general support forum, and so on.

2. When I'm working on a core bug, my first step is to try to reproduce it (unless it's something I can obviously relate to a mistake in the code). If I have to track down a third-party module or theme, or use a server configuration that I don't already have set up, such as XOOPS 2.0.1 / MySQL 4.5 / PHP 5.9-beta / IIS / Windows Vista), reproducing the bug will be a challenge. It's much easier if I can reproduce the bug in the current version of XOOPS, without needing any special module or theme.

BlueStocking

Quote:

The Community Coordinators would use the XOOPS Bug Reporting forum to open topics and collect this information, then use that same topic to provide updates to the community about that issue, once the issue is resolved, and documented, the topic would be closed by the Coordinators who opened it.

Quote:

If the reporter isn't sure, a discussion thread might be started in a support forum to enlist others to help with that determination. Or maybe kc0maz's team can assist with that. If necessary, the core developers can be called upon to help.

If it turns out to be a problem outside of the core, then it would be better to report it in the appropriate place, such as the module's support forum, theme's support forum, general support forum, and so on.

I believe the Coordinators are to make that determination and open the discussion thread. It won't get to the developers unless it is a developers issue, they will route it to the proper place. IF I am made aware of a bug problem I want a place to report it, without having to determine what caused it or open a thread to discuss it.

I am confident the end bug report forum will have the necessary fields of inquire to determine where to route the bugger.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/29 16:04

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have a bingo!

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
A couple of comments from a core developer:

If the reporter isn't sure, a discussion thread might be started in a support forum to enlist others to help with that determination. Or maybe kc0maz's team can assist with that. If necessary, the core developers can be called upon to help with the determination.

Once those areas (Module dev, themes, etc) get their 'Coordination' team up and running We will turn the issue over to them for follow-up and vise versa. I urge some caution with this, we don't want user's issues bounced around like a volleyball between the areas.
In addition if a user submits an core issue directly to the SF and is missing some vital information, it could be referred to the Coordinators for additional information or follow-up.
Quote:

2. When I'm working on a core bug, my first step is to try to reproduce it (unless it's something I can obviously relate to a mistake in the code). If I have to track down a third-party module or theme, or use a server configuration that I don't already have set up, such as XOOPS 2.0.1 / MySQL 4.5 / PHP 5.9-beta / IIS / Windows Vista), reproducing the bug will be a challenge. It's much easier if I can reproduce the bug in the current version of XOOPS, without needing any special module or theme.

If the need arise for a special set up, we, the coordinators will be recruiting other members of the community with the proper set-up to work with you. Of course, each situation will be different and handled accordingly.

Would the developers like to have the coordinators have accounts set-up on SF.net?
--unknown

Dave_L
  • 2007/6/29 16:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

BlueStocking and kc0maz: That sounds good to me.

Quote:
Would the developers like to have the coordinators have accounts set-up on SF.net?

Creating accounts is probably a good idea, so when you post in an sf.net tracker or forum, your user name will be displayed, rather than "anonymous". If you prefer not to do that, it's ok, but a note should be included in posts stating who posted it, so that the person working on the bug knows who to contact if more information is needed.

BlueStocking

underdog,
Can you create a form, (html, guestbook type is fine) for user input with the appropriate fields.

As an example of the questions needed to route the, for lack of better word, 'bugger'?

Save file as on your desktop then we will find a proper home, if you don't have one to upload to.

Need some general examples to go by in designing an appropriate form.

I've got the place (for designing the pleminary form) if you can find someone with the time and talent.

http://www.xoops.net.br/modules/formulize/cat.php
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits