Swain
Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/7/27 18:36

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I really do like the idea of specialized addon packs. But I think perhaps the best idea instead of bundling modules, is one main module pack as a separate download. This would save someone like me time, in that I may not use many of the modules that would be bundled, but I might use a specialized addon.

giba
  • 2006/7/31 10:21

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

Core Modules 2.0.14
Expirará em 03/08/2006 07:46
news 4 % 4 % (62)
article 2 % 2 % (36)
edito 1 % 1 % (16)
WF-Downloads 3 % 3 % (42)
MyDownloads 2 % 2 % (26)
PdDownloads 0 % 0 % (10)
Rmdp 1 % 1 % (16)
XoopsPoll 3 % 3 % (47)
Survey 1 % 1 % (17)
WF-Faq 1 % 1 % (13)
SmartFaq 1 % 1 % (24)
WF-Sections 2 % 2 % (27)
SmartSection 2 % 2 % (27)
WF-Chanell 2 % 2 % (28)
MyLinks 2 % 2 % (31)
SmartLinks 1 % 1 % (25)
PdLinks 0 % 0 % (9)
Cbb 2 % 2 % (28)
newbb 2 % 2 % (38)
XoopsProtector 3 % 3 % (45)
MyPage 1 % 1 % (23)
MultiMenu 3 % 3 % (50)
XoopsEditor 2 % 2 % (31)
XoopsPartner 2 % 2 % (27)
SmartPartner 1 % 1 % (25)
MediaWiki 1 % 1 % (17)
DokuWiki 1 % 1 % (13)
Wiwimod 1 % 1 % (16)
Planet 1 % 1 % (13)
XT-Conteudo 3 % 3 % (39)
Content 1 % 1 % (15)
Xmail 2 % 2 % (33)
Members On-Line 3 % 3 % (42)
RW-Banner 2 % 2 % (30)
XoopsGallery 1 % 1 % (22)
MyGallery 1 % 1 % (22)
XcGal 2 % 2 % (32)
Marquee 2 % 2 % (28)
Profile Extend 1 % 1 % (14)
Xlanguage 1 % 1 % (23)
Multilanguage 2 % 2 % (36)
XmLine 1 % 1 % (14)
xhld 1 % 1 % (19)
Pical 2 % 2 % (31)
Extcal 1 % 1 % (20)
RMGS - Gallery 1 % 1 % (23)
XoopsFaq 1 % 1 % (17)
UserPage 2 % 2 % (28)
Outhers 1 % 1 % (16)
Total de votos: 1286 | Total de votantes: 76
Votar

Vote please

gtop00
  • 2006/7/31 14:39

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Dear all,

Regarding the inclusion of modules with the core or not, this is my point of view:
No modules with the core.-

BUT

There must be AT LEAST one or two modules accompanying the core AS A SAMPLE. It is a must for a newbie to be able to see how a module is behaving, how it looks like in the admin section, how are the blocks, how are the permissions defined etc, without having to start from zero.

This way XOOPS can become a “Ready to use” CMS. It can only take 15 – 20 minutes to install it and see it active on the net! Just think about it! How many people will feel the satisfaction and self-confidence of creating a site! And how (more) popular can XOOPS become!

This thread also guides me back to another endless story about the module repository. Please find some time to read – refresh the ideas discussed at this thread.

Dave_L
  • 2006/7/31 15:52

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
There must be AT LEAST one or two modules accompanying the core AS A SAMPLE. It is a must for a newbie to be able to see how a module is behaving, how it looks like in the admin section, how are the blocks, how are the permissions defined etc, without having to start from zero.

Hmmm .... One or two sample modules would be a good idea, but they don't necessarily have to be included with the core. They could be available as a separate download. In particular, if the sample modules actually do something useful, so that some people would use them permanently, then bundling them with the core would cause the same issues as including other modules with the core.

jegelstaff

Okay, I'm jumping in here with a not-fully-considered-opinion, but how about...

There's a single download, all in one package that new users can grab. In that download is the latest core distribution, and also a module package. The module package is not part of the core, it is not in the distribution, this is just a way of distributing the modules and core together, without them actually being integrated. The idea is you might have a .zip file that contains two zip files, ie:

XOOPS-getting-starting-download.zip
|__xoops_core_latest_version.zip
|__xoops_basic_module_pack.zip

And then you also have the latest version of the core available for download on its own.

And you have whatever module packs available as well.

Seems to me the big issue here is not whether modules and the core should be available together. Everyone agrees that you need modules to make the core do anything! The issue is how to make it easy for newcommers to get going. If there was a big button on the download page that said "New to XOOPS? Click here to get everything you need to get started!" then people would zero in on that, and if it's a package that contains two other packages plus a readme, then that's cool isn't it?

Once people have a working system and they just want to update, or start a new XOOPS site, they'll come back and download the plain vanilla "core-only" download.

And the module packs would be similarly labelled.

What do you think?

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

davidl2
  • 2006/7/31 16:30

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Sounds fair to me - except some people have trouble putting files in the same place on upload, and I can almost imagine immediately someone uploading the extracted Zip and their install having trouble locating files in:

siteurl.com/modules/xoops_core_latest_version/module name

Seriously though, sounds like a suggestion - especially the "big red button"

jegelstaff

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Sounds fair to me - except some people have trouble putting files in the same place on upload, and I can almost imagine immediately someone uploading the extracted Zip and their install having trouble locating files in:

siteurl.com/modules/xoops_core_latest_version/module name

Well, that's an issue no matter what, regardless of whether modules are distributed with the core or not. The core has to go at the root of your site, whereas the modules have to go in the modules folder that gets created when you install the core.

Some people may never cotton on to that, and may never use XOOPS therefore. They will probably never use other CMSs either.

It would be interesting to know more about how Mambo deals with that problem, since their modules/components have file spread out all over the place. Presumably they distribute them in archives that can be unzipped from the root of the site and all the files will end up in the right place.

It might be a best practice for all XOOPS modules to be distributed in archives that start with a 'modules' folder, so that they too can be unzipped from the root of the site and end up in the right place

When we know what we're doing, we never think about these things (Formulize is not distributed that way, for instance). But for new users or non-technical users, these can be showstopper issues.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Lance_
  • 2006/7/31 17:09

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

One thing is for certain, we will never have all users actually read the instructions and having them try to understand them.

One of the reasons of making package is also to make them smaller and more manageable. Having the module pack in the core download still obligates the core devs to make sure the release of the core has the latest version of the package. Since diffeent people are taking care of each, then they should not be bundled.

Having all modules being by default zipped with the same file structure would be ideal. In the modules/modulename/ format. This will make it easier for people to understand where the files go, even if in a separate package.

The rest is documentation, making sure there is no ambiguity in understanding that modules are separate from the core package and need to be installed separately. The reason for this being that we want everyone to be able to easily choose the functions they want and need in a website, without the extra clutter.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

MadFish
  • 2006/7/31 17:26

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I would like to see a 'starter pack' that provides basic or 'typical' site functionality without the frills. This is pretty much covered by the original 'core' modules.

Why not just bundle the modern equivalents of these? In most cases the choice is obvious - there's a new version of News, CBB has supplanted the old forum module, WF-downloads has left My downloads behind, etc.

We need a starter pack(s) to help people get across the basic range of functionality that XOOPs can offer, ie. as much as for user education as anything else. Once they have some experience they'll start exploring the module repository on their own.

My plea is that if the module packs aren't actually bundled in the same package as the core, they should at least be readily accessible from the same webpage as the core (and with a text explanation of what they are and suggested uses). Please don't make newbies wander around a development repository trying to figure out what is going on. A little bit of presentation can go a long way in helping people to get started.

davidl2
  • 2006/7/31 17:34

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Having the repository easier to navigate will also help of course

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits