An updated installation guide for XOOPS 2.5 is available here http://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5701
Below is the old Guide.
XOOPS Installation Guide
Copyright © 2003
The first revision of the installation guide
This document should describe the installation process of XOOPS.
Table of Contents
- Installation Guide
- 1. Preamble
- 2. Introduction
- 3. Folder permissions
- 4. General configuration
- 5. Path and URL
- 6. Database settings
- 7. Admin settings
- 8. Ready to go!
List of Figures
- 2.1. This is the welcome language selection page of the XOOPS Install Wizard
- 2.2. This explanatory page includes crucial information about things that need to be there for the install to work
- 3.1. The screen you get if the folder uploads/ is read only.
- 3.2. The screen you see if the folder cache/ is read only.
- 3.3. This is what you see if the folder templates_c is not writable.
- 3.4. When mainfile.php is not writable, you see this screen.
- 3.5. The screen you want to see, filled with green go ahead lights.
- 4.1. In this screen you'll capture the information to access your database.
- 4.2. If you can't connect to the MySQL server, you'll see this ugly message.
- 4.3. Beep! You've misspelled the path to your XOOPS installation. You better go back and correct it
- 4.4. You went a bit too far. Now you need to restart the installation.
- 4.5. This is just to make sure everything is right. If it isn't click on Back and correct things.
- 4.6. The data you entered have just been saved. All systems are Go!
- 5.1. The screen you want to see, with both paths correctly written.
- 5.2. Beep! You wrote an invalid URL in the Virtual Path field. Go back and correct it!
- 6.1. You have another chance to take a look at what you entered.
- 6.2. This is not a real error if you're installing locally. Just go ahead.
- 6.3. Wham! Everything was ok so you now have a blank database installed.
- 6.4. You are ready to install the tables that create your XOOPS site.
- 6.5. A lot happened here. You now have a table-populated database.
- 7.1. This is the form where you create your site's webmaster.
- 7.2. The program timed out! Probably a bad connection to the MySQL server.
- 7.3. Ooops! A typo occurred somewhere. Go Back and try again.
- 7.4. Your database tables have received their initial data. You're almost there!
- 8.1. Mission complete! Now you're ready for the task of configuring your brand new XOOPS site.